Limping hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by speedymom, Aug 16, 2011.

1. speedymom

speedymom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    Sorry guys, this question is probably always on here, but I am chasing a toddler around and can't browse the posts. My Two year old hen started mildly limping yesterday evening, and today it is worse. She is eating, but less voraciously than usual ( she is my "eat anything" girl) Also she seems lethargic, and lays in the dirt by herself. Over the last few weeks, I have noticed the feathers around her head thinning slightly, but I attributed it to our 40 plus days in a row of 100 degree heat. She also laid a soft egg a few days ago, which I also attributed to the heat. Her comb and wattle seem pale to me, and have for a few weeks. Their roosts are 27 inches high and they land in a layer of 3 inches of sand, but she could have possible landed on the piece of plywood that I have under her feeder. They have an 8 by 8 run, and there are 4 hens. Her poops are normal. Thanks in advance!!! PS they eat Purina layena, have acces to oyster shells, ( not that they eat them) and are fed lots of table scraps. Also they get to wander around our backyard several times a week.

2. nonsuch

nonsuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    Hi,

Please go to the "Mareks thread". This is how one of my Marans was acting and I ended up losing her to Mareks Disease! It generally starts with a limp which gets worse. It them goes to paralysis. We had mine put to sleep by our Vet and sent in to the State Lab. The report came back today...confirmed Mareks. There is lots of information on this thread.

3. speedymom

speedymom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    Thanks! As soon as I get my kid to bed I'll peruse the thread. I brought her inside to cool off and she looks much improved. Set her up with some fresh watermelon which she turned her nose up at, but that could just be because she is in the house in a dog crate. Major chicken insult!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by