1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. WellblessedMama

WellblessedMama New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    Western WA
    Hi all! New here. :) I've got an ailing hen tonight. Camila, my Delaware who is 1. Background: a while back (maybe two months) I noticed she had a couple of scabs on the bottoms of her feet. I asked some chicken friends and was told that since there was no redness or swelling to just watch it and I have been. One scab went away the others have been unchanged. The other day I noticed she had some raised scales so I've been smearing her legs to get rid of what I assume is leg mites. Tonight she sought me out while I was doing evening chores and I noticed her limping. Currently she is set up in my living room in a large dog kennel on lots of soft bedding. I peeled the scabs off her feet and there are much smaller scabs underneath but there is still no redness or swelling so I'm reluctant to go digging. In a bit I'll go give her a good soak in water with Epsom salts and see if the remaining scabs will loosen.

My questions:

Could she be limping because of the mites?

Should I dig out the scabs even if there is no redness of swelling?

Is there anything else I should do?

I got a permethrin powder for lice and mites today (couldn't find Sevin), is that enough to get rid of the leg mites or do I still need to smear?

What I currently have at home for first aid: Vetericyn spray, Betadine, Duramycin and a tube of off-brand Neosporin as well as gauze squares and vet wrap.

Thanks for your help!

2. AbbyTravers

AbbyTravers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    Does she give any reaction when you touch her scabs?

3. WellblessedMama

WellblessedMama New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    Western WA
    Not especially. I had her tucked under one arm on her back and spread the toes with one hand and peeled it off with the other. I don't recall a reaction.

4. WellblessedMama

WellblessedMama New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    Western WA
    Anybody on now that can help with this? I'm not sure how to proceed.

5. AbbyTravers

Aug 4, 2013
    I dont know maybe you should call your local vet if you dont get advice soon. My chicken had a broken leg. so if it was that I would say probably splint it. But maybe just keep it clean and make sure she eats and drinks. Sorry that i couldnt help. Hope she gets well soon.

6. WellblessedMama

WellblessedMama New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    Western WA
    Thanks! She is in high spirits despite not enjoying being confined to the kennel. I soaked her in an Epsom salt bath this morning and made her some egg which she gobbled down immediately. She is eating and drinking well though she does seem to have lost some weight. I also noticed after her soak that she has some red patches on her skin but it's not surface it's deep, the skin itself looks normal.

There is a vet that will answer chicken questions via e-mail but I don't like to abuse her kindness in doing that. If I can't figure this out soon though I will.

7. AbbyTravers

Aug 4, 2013
    Well I am glad she is eating and drinking. Hope she gets better soon! Keep me posted please![​IMG]

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by