1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. nellieschickens

nellieschickens New Egg

Jan 5, 2015
    I have an 8 month old light brahma that has been limping for about 2 weeks now. She's still eating and seems to be laying as usual but she's limping, her tail is down and her comb seems to be fading in color some. Checked her out when we first noticed the limping. Cant see anything wrong with her leg or toes. Gave her a warm foot bath and cleaned up her feathers and she seemed to be limping less but has since started up again. These are my first chickens and I'm not sure what I should do for her. Any help?????

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Does she limp, hold the leg up, or drag the leg? Sometimes a video posted on YouTube will help. Look at her foot pad for any swelling, redness, or a dark spot that could be bumblefoot. Check her leg joints for swelling. I would try some poultry vitamins with minerals, and try forcing her to rest the leg by placing her in a crate with food and water inside the coop and run with the others.

3. nellieschickens

nellieschickens New Egg

Jan 5, 2015
    She's just holding the leg up but when not eating or drinking is always laying in the corner of the coop. She's no longer getting up on the roost. The others dont seem to be picking on her or anything. I brought her inside all say and night yesterday and she seemed better but was laying in the corner when I just checked her. She got up when i put some lettuce in but is holding her left leg up. I have checked repeatedly for bumble foot. There isn't any redness or swelling and it doesn't seem to bother her when I examine the leg. Not sure what else to do for her.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My speckled sussex hen held her leg up and hopped around on her good leg for 5-6 weeks after suffering a sprain. I didn't know to place her in a confined space to rest the leg then. It probably would have healed sooner. If you place her in a crate inside the coop with theothers, with food and water, she won't loos her placein the flock. Not every leg injury will heal, but it should if it is just a sprain.

5. nellieschickens

nellieschickens New Egg

Jan 5, 2015
    She seems super stressed out in the coop even though no one is bothering her so she's inside in a laundry basket right now. Im wondering about a stroke? Her wing seems kind of droopy. She always perks up when i bring her inside. She starts eating and drinking as soon as i put her in the basket.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would think if her leg was paralyzed from a stroke, or even Mareks disease, that she would not hold her leg up, but would be more likely to drag it or walk on it like it was numb. The drooping wing sort of rang some bells in my head about possible Mareks, but I would just keep observing her while forcing her to rest the leg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by