1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Limping Indian Runner

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Vickers58, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Vickers58

Vickers58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    Dallas, tx
    Our Indian Runner has been limping for the last two days and I was wanting some tips.

Last night we filled up the bath tub for her to have a deep enough pool to not be able to stand in and she seemed to like that, but I was hoping you guys might have some other tips.

What is a Epsom salt wrap? Is that different than soaking? and how much should i use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hi,

Epsom salt wrap - dissolve a couple tablespoons of Epsom salt in a third of a cup of warm water in a dish. Soak up the solution with a clean rag or paper towel large enough to wrap around a leg and foot.

Hold the duck so you are both comfortable, and wrap the leg and foot and sit there for as long as you can stand it ([​IMG]) five minutes is good, fifteen is better.

Miss Lydia has large bowls or little buckets and just stands the duck in those - but make sure the duck does not drink any of it, it is a laxative.

Look on the bottom of the feet for swollen nodules. They would look a little different than callouses.

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I eyeball the amount of Epsom Salts I use to make a solution, whether for people or ducks. Appx 1/4-1/2cup salt per 1/2 gal of water, I guess. Compress is just soak a cloth or rag in the solution you made, then hold it to the affected area. I honestly prefer compresses in people, but soaks in ducks... Just seems easier for me that way. But I suppose it depends on the area you're treating.

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Vickers58 - please follow Amiga's advice. Seems she and I were typing simultaneously. What Amiga she told you is the way to go.
    How's your duck doing now?

5. Vickers58

Vickers58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    Dallas, tx
    oh gosh i forgot to reply!

She is doing much better. She seemed to really just need a soak and to stay off of it. Shes doing great now! Thank you all!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by