Limping lady with curled toes

Mistyaeg

Hatching
Sep 6, 2022
Yesterday I noticed she was limping. I soaked her foot but didn’t see or feel anything. I noticed her toes are curled when I pick her up. She is still holding that leg up and limping when she walks on it. She is eating and drinking. I’m a new mom and could use the help.
5EDD2CD0-45A5-4A3A-A3D4-A9C9D67C2309.jpeg

Attachments

• 0CB7E447-036E-4908-B0E9-2819B42802AA.jpeg
    0CB7E447-036E-4908-B0E9-2819B42802AA.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 15
  • B9F7CEBF-9F5A-4E93-9A20-40AF05755807.png
    B9F7CEBF-9F5A-4E93-9A20-40AF05755807.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • F235B695-3C10-4DAB-A788-BD32EB608D21.png
    F235B695-3C10-4DAB-A788-BD32EB608D21.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
Feed some Poultry Cell vitamins. Could be a vitamin B deficiency. Could also do human Vitamin B Complex instead of the Poultry Cell vitamins. Half a human pill per day until condition improves, pop it in her mouth.

I've not encountered this situation myself, but there's a lot of info on this forum, and that's the standard recommendation. If it's not an injury or bumblefoot, most likely culprits are vitamin B deficiency or Mareks. Since you don't have paralysis, Marek's isn't as likely at the moment. If she improves after the vitamin treatment, you'll know that was it.

For future prevention, if she improves with vitamins, I question whether your feed has sufficient B vitamin nutrition. Could be old feed, where the nutrition has degraded, could be the vitamin content wasn't sufficient to begin with. If you post on here how you're feeding your chickens, folks can help out with that. Also it's a great topic to search on.

ETA: I just realized I was assuming your birds don't have worms or coccidiosis. Have you checked for those conditions? Coccidiosis in particular can cause a B vitamin deficiency in your birds because the Cocci eat it all. If you have this, you would treat with Corid, then afterwards give them B vitamins (not during treatment, cause it will make treatment ineffective).

How long has she had that? Is that new?
I need the answers.
Because I don't see avitamin deficiency in here, I do see a small puncture wound, and some old skin that whitend, which could be dead skin that built up and interrupting her walk.
I would suggest you wait for tomorrow before giving her any vitamins, because to me, it seriously looks like a small wound and an over reactive hen.

If there's an injury, and not just her randomly curling up one foot, then I don't know what to tell you. I would not think it's a vitamin deficiency if there's an actual (albeit old) injury.

If there's an injury, and not just her randomly curling up one foot, then I don't know what to tell you. I would not think it's a vitamin deficiency if there's an actual (albeit old) injury.
Looks like a new hole to me.
81B1784F-476A-49C7-987E-7C9C088076E3.jpeg

But here again, if tomorrow she doesn’t walk normally, I would try and get her on vitamins, because that’s a super tiny hole.

How old is she? Does she lay and if so, what size are her eggs?
Does she favour one leg?

With young pullets sometimes the first egg causes issues due to putting pressure on the isciatic nerve of the left leg.

The same can happen to even mature hens when the egg is very big or taking too much time traveling through the oviduct.

Last edited:
How long have you had her?
Possible injury from transport and acclimating to new surroundings. Any scuffles or fighting between hens?

I'd monitor her, see that she's eating/drinking.
Giving 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily won't hurt anything.

Back
Top Bottom