1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

LIMPING Lefties...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by knah24, Oct 27, 2011.

1. knah24

knah24 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2011
    LIMPING LEFTIES... After my troubling hatch I have 3 survivors on day 2 in the brooder. They are eating and drinking and lots of sleeping. However two of the three appear to have a leg problem. They are not bending at the "knee" and their web foot is not expanding to a flat position.
    Anybody know if this is something I can help with or will they have to learn to wobble and hop???

Thanks again for this site and all of your support!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I recently hatched a chick that couldn't walk. It's feet were folded. It was smaller than the others too. I put it by itself and had fed it a mash with a drop of Poly-Vi-Sol without Iron. The feet did uncurl and it had spraddle legs. I did put band-aids on its legs and the legs also straightened out. It's hatch mates would pick on it when I put it in with them. I had another hatch a week later and put the runt in with the new chicks and it is happy with them. There is hope...

3. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    well why not name it Hope!? (thats what i did)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by