Limping Not Bumblefoot

ChickenNerd32

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2019
Hi Everyone,
I have a BCM that is limping and I checked for Bumblefoot and found nothing. To me it looks like she “sprained” for lack of a better word. Any thoughts?

65C756C2-EB8D-4446-8238-2D9FF9EEDAA3.png
CEED25AE-C2E6-4FBA-BEF0-7355D56DB4E7.jpeg
9452A341-5235-4830-91C7-6B8B53B00170.jpeg
6A575288-5D18-4326-B93D-F2F4471C6FB1.jpeg
E5BF9B9F-B7E8-40E3-9C6F-27EE99D8EC86.jpeg

Does she have any swelling of the hock/knee joint?
Could she have been stepped on by another animal? (like horse, goat)

I agree, at the moment it does look like some type of injury.
I would place her in a dog kennel or crate positioned inside the run so she is still with the flock. This will limit her activity plus keep the rooster off her too. I'm not saying he is mean or anything like that, she just doesn't need to be mounted (have extra weight on her) at this time.

As for the leg/foot - seeking vet care would be best - getting an xray to determine if there is a fracture/break. It's hard to know if the leg needs to be splinted or not.

She is still limping. I am setting up a small area for her this weekend. She doesn’t have any swelling but her joint (our equivalent of our knee) seems looser than the other but that’s the only thing I can find on her. I don’t have a vet near by but I’m thinking we’re going to need to make a drive. I was going to breed her and 2 other BCMs so I’d like to keep her happy and healthy. Since I’m not sure what it is I don’t even know the right way to set it for healing.

I brought a limping bird into the vet, and he right away said it was Mareks. We got a $70 blood test done, and it came back positive. I'm crossing my fingers that your bird has an injury, not this awful disease! :fl

I brought a limping bird into the vet, and he right away said it was Mareks. We got a $70 blood test done, and it came back positive. I'm crossing my fingers that your bird has an injury, not this awful disease! :fl

Oh no! I hope not. Since her joint is slightly off (I mean barely but enough to notice) I’m hoping it’s that. I’m sorry about your chicken though. That sucks.

How could I tell? I’m thinking it could be something like that but now I’m nervous from AltonaAcres experience. :hmm
This I am not an expert on. I believe you should be able to feel the slipped tendon on either side of the joint if it is the problem. From what I have read and seen you can fix it by straightening out the leg and rolling it back into place. Maybe one of these members knows more @casportpony @azygous @Texas Kiki

Back
Top Bottom