Limping Pullet- Not bumblefoot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leihamarie, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    Well, my little Copper Comet is only able to take a few steps before having to lay down. What was a slight limp and hesitance to jump has turned into a severe issue. She is eating and drinking normally and after close inspection has no apparent wounds or irregularities on her legs or feet. I have isolated her in a rather small pet carrier to limit mobility, but it is causing her so much stress that I'm tempted to return her to the flock. The earliest appointment at the chicken vet is in 4 and a half days. I have given her 1/2 a baby aspirin (total of apx 40g of asprin) and vitamins/electrolytes in her water. I should soon be able to tell if it's muscular or neural if the baby aspirin relieves the limp, right???

Any experience or advice? Should I keep her isolated even if she hasn't stopped panting since I did it?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Did you see any improvement after the aspirin?

Can you place the pet carrier in the run so she can see and hear the others? This may reduce her stress. If she is still stressed when moved near them, then it may be best to let her back out.

From your description is sounds like she sprained/injured her leg. Provide her with some B vitamins and make sure she is eating.

Leg injuries/sprains can take several weeks to heal. If she is otherwise perky and keeps eating/drinking then monitor her.
    If she becomes lethargic (listless) and goes off feed then you will need to separate her completely from the flock.

Keep us posted.

3. Leihamarie

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    I am afraid it's Marek's. The aspirin did nothing and the symptoms add up. :-( She's in isolation now but if she's got Marek's, the other 2 have been exposed as well. Poor baby is declining rapidly. She's panting like crazy, but she's still eating and drinking so I'm gonna try to throw everything I've got at supportive care and hope she makes it. I found a chicken vet about 30 miles away who can see her today. We shall see what the tests say. :)

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How old is she?
    What does her poop look like?

It's always possible it could be Marek's, but trying other things may be helpful as well. Have you considered Coccidiosis. Some signs/symptoms include loss of balance, lethargy, diarrhea with mucus or blood, puffed/fluffed up appearance. Cocci is treated with Corid - this can be found at the feed store.

Here's some links to video and info on both Marek's and Cocci. See if either one looks similar? Just my thoughts.

Chick with Cocci video - chick starts at approx. 1:55 mark:
    http://www.easychickenry.com/coccidiosis-in-chickens.html

MAREKS
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

MAREK'S VIDEO

5. Leihamarie

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    My heart is sick right now. I'm devastated and terribly afraid for my remaining two girls. I got my sick 14 week old into the vet today and while she wasn't tested for Mareks (they advised that live-bird testing isn't very effective and the treatment would be the same for the symptoms) she was x-rayed. It showed an enlarged spleen which is pressing the femoral nerve and causing difficulty walking. They sent me home with Antibiotics & Pain meds. :-( They gave her about another 3 weeks to live and then of course advised a necropsy which I will do.

I got home and my EE is puffed up now and separating herself from the other two and all 3 have keel bones protruding. What the heck do I do now? I have 3x 14 week old pullets that haven't started to lay yet and I don't want to lose them! I dosed their water with coloidal silver and I'm giving them free choice grower feed but I've GOT to get them healthy. They're eating like champs but not seeming to gain weight.

My heart is breaking. I have been a chicken mom for 8 weeks now and feel like a complete failure. :-(

6. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    I'm so sorry! :hugs I have no idea how to help, but I hope I can provide comfort! :hugs

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry [​IMG]

You are not a failure. I'm glad you were able to have a vet see her.

8. Leihamarie

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    thanks @henny123 I appreciate it. :)

9. Leihamarie

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    Thanks, I'm glad I got in too, but I don't know how to protect my other 2 from succumbing to it. They're already emaciated and my EE is puffy but still walking fine. My plan is scrambled eggs, as many meal worms/grubs as they can eat, coconut oil, BOSS, blackstrap mollasses drops and coloidal silver and st. Johns Wart until I break. I'm not giving up until they do, but I'm really afraid I'll lose my whole flock. I only have the 3 girls.

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    The puffiness could be Cocci. Can you take a fecal sample to the vet for testing?

Grower feed is a good start. As a general rule treats shouldn't be any more than 10% of daily intake. The egg, BOSS and mealworms are fine treats, but consider fat content. At 14weeks they will still be a bit gangly/leggy. Molasses can act as a flush/laxative, so go easy on that.

If you have a scale get a baseline weight on each one, this will give you useful information in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by