Limping pullet with sore/lumps at top of leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crtnie, Nov 5, 2016.

1. crtnie

crtnie New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    My 6 month old girl has been limpimg for almost 2 weeks now. Initially i thougjt she may have just hurt her leg as she was still running around in good health otherwise.
    Hiwever today i decided it was time for further inspection and rest. I found that she has strange lumps and one sore right at the top behind her leg. See pictures. Her leg muscle is so weak that i can hardly feel it. Im guessing from lack of use.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    Any ideas??

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Possible tumour?....Infection?

Cheers!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I can't say what the lump is, although it could have some bruising around the yellow area. Perhaps it is a sign of an injury to her leg or hip. Tumors can be a sign of Mareks disease, which also can cause paralysis in one or both legs or wings from tumors along nerves. For now, I would pen her up in a dog crate with food and water, kept near the other chickens to maintain her place in the flock as well as keep her from being lonely. Poultry vitamins added to her water or feed might help as well. If she stops being able to stand, then I would place her in a sling. Let us know how she gets along. Here is some reading about Mareks: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/90/mareks-disease/
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

4. crtnie

crtnie New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    What ever it is, it is growing. The one lump is the same and the lump with the scab on it is growing. She has bery little use of that leg. She is still in good spirits...eating, drinking and wanting to walk around.
    I decided to soak and break away the little bit of scab to see if there was a pussy infection ir anything, but no it was just bleeding. Im not sure i can justify taking her to as i know that whatever it us it will involve an operation which will cost way to much. I just spent $130 for one if my other chook with respirtory infection and even after 5 day of antibiotics and rest she still died.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by