Limping pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carousel, Nov 9, 2008.

1. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    On Friday I thought that my 9 month old red leghorn pullet might be limping but I was not sure. I didn't see much of my chickens on Saturday except to do a head count on the roost last night (no daylight when I was home)
    this morning I went out and checked and couldn't find my red girl. I found her off by her self, not fluffed up but standing on one leg resting and not looking happy, when she didn't just TAKE Off when I came near her I knew something was REALLY wrong. She is VERY much lame now, and I would say in pain. I was able to pick her up, on quick inspection I could not find a wound, or swelling. I had to again be gone for the day so I put her in a dog crate with a lot of shavings and food and water, again when I got home it was dark. I checked on her and she had eaten and drank and she is still lame.

so
    How is my best way to figure out what might e wrong (some sort of check off? would help) where do I go from here? to try to figure out what is wrong?
    I"m not going to mess with her any more tonight, I will check her again in the morning.
    thanks

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    One of my girls did this for a bit, but she's fine now.

I think she'd hurt it jumping down from somewhere during the day, because she was limping terribly when I came home from work that day. I kept her in a small area for a couple days and then she healed, apparently.

In a confined are she can't hurt herself worse, and away from the others, they can't put her in a position of hurting herself worse...mine got bullied.

Lots of yogurt and treats made a happy George, and she is perfect now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by