Limping pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WildflowerJLH, Nov 1, 2010.

1. WildflowerJLH

WildflowerJLH Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my 8 week old GLW is limping. I caught her to check for any obvious injury and found none. Is there anything that I can do for her?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Did you check for a scab or dark spot on the bottom of the foot? Do a search on bumblefoot, if there is one.

3. WildflowerJLH

I did look, but there is NOTHING.

4. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:Same thing just happened to mine just hours ago. I suspect she jumped off the perch a wrong way, and sprained her leg. The perch is 9 feet up, and mine like to jump from there to the feeder 6 feet away. Is that possible for yous?

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I have one that the same thing happened too. Checked her for everything and didn't see anything wrong with her. I just let her alone. She got a little worse before she got better. She's still limping but not as bad. She'll run & limp like crazy when she's going after her treats!!

6. WildflowerJLH

Quote:Same thing just happened to mine just hours ago. I suspect she jumped off the perch a wrong way, and sprained her leg. The perch is 9 feet up, and mine like to jump from there to the feeder 6 feet away. Is that possible for yous?

Quite possible. Also, my husband is starting a hugelkultur trench in the area that is the current run space. He was tossing branches into the trench yesterday. I wonder if she got under there when he was tossing stuff in?

If she has a sprain, is there anything I should be doing? Right now, I am just keeping an eye on her, making sure she isn't getting picked on, getting plenty to eat, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by