Limping/quiet/help :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HollieP109, Mar 21, 2015.

1. HollieP109

HollieP109 New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    Hi all I would be so grateful of any advice. My chicken Gloria today seemed to fly into the mesh fence which is also part of a wooden panel (this is the run) she stumbled back up and walked about. She then started to limp on and off and became less Mobil within 10/15 minutes. I left her for 2 hours and came back she was standing in the corner and would always be alert but she didn't move. Was hard to see but think she was staring on both legs. I carefully lifted her up and put her in the coop as it's chilly and she just snuggled up and hasn't moved. I'm scared to check wings/legs and wondered how I do this??? Or any ideas? Maybe shock? Not sure how obvious a broken wing is? Or a broken leg? Didn't realize it was possible to become so upset when a chicken is poorly. I would love any input please! Thank you. Hollie :)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] sorry for the circumstances. If a leg were broken, I doubt that she would have walked about. A broken wing is usually characterized by droopiness of that wing. She may have hit her head and may still be somewhat disoriented. She may very well be a little shocky. Keep an eye on her making sure that she is not being picked on - you may even want to place her in a confined, slightly darkened environment (box in the house) until she is feeling better. Good luck.

3. HollieP109

HollieP109 New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    Thank you. It's absorbing my thoughts! If I was to separate her how would this be best? A crate and box with bedding etc? And how long for?? We have a sheltered garage area? Or inside the house? Thank you again- very grateful!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You might use a covered crate or box - bedding for sure to keep her clean. The fact that she appears alert and not disoriented is good.

5. HollieP109

HollieP109 New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    And away from the others ideally inside? Thank you! Didn't help we've introduced two new ladies this week and the pecking order is awful to watch! Hopefully they'll soon become friends!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by