1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

limping red vent naked neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theartsypaul, Nov 18, 2014.

1. theartsypaul

theartsypaul Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I noticed she was limping. Looked under foot for a thorn or something and it looked clean and she didn't jump when I applied pressure. I then checked her vent for a stuck egg and nothing. I slathered olive oil all over her. She is still laying, but still limps. After I checked her vent she pooped and I thought maybe I went in her intestine not the egg tube, but I'm pretty sure she is laying. I've checked for mites and she has nothing that is not ordinary. She will move or hop but really just lays in the dirt. Fortunately the other hens aren't picking on her. I noticed the next day, after vent checking, she was all red and I thought prolapsed vent. How could something with the vent cause her the limp? More than one problem?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by