Limping rooster - not bumblefoot

TRokose

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2016
Yesterday morning my 5 month old rooster was fine, but in the afternoon he was limping (they free range). I picked him up and gently checked his foot and leg but I cant find anything wrong visually. I put him in the chicken hutch last night hoping to limit his activity and give his foot/leg a rest today, but I am not sure what else to do. Anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be, how I figure out what it is, and/or how to deal with it?

Have you felt the entire leg, hip and soft tissues - if not, do so and compare what you feel with the normal side. Also really look at the skin under all feathers and make sure there are no injuries not obvious to just looking.

If your exam is negative and he is eating/drinking/pooping normally. I would place him somewhere safe with close by feed/water and keep an eye on him. Even if just a strained tendon/muscle it can take several days to heal up. If not improving after that, consider trying to locate a vet to do X-rays?

I had a similar problem with one of my hens in the past - she could go up the ramp but not onto a roost. There was nothing on exam of concern. 4 days in "sick bay" and she was out running around.

Hope your boy will be better soon.

Thanks, I will give him a more thorough exam and continue to keep him in "sick bay". I will try to let you know how it turns out.

So I have done a more thorough exam of my rooster and can find no visible injuries. I checked his legs, moved them around, made sure he can still move all his toes, and I checked higher up on his leg underneath the feathers and cant see anything wrong. He never made a noise or indicated that I was causing pain. All I can think is that he must have sprained or strained something that day. I am going to try administering 1/2 a baby aspirin to see if that helps reduce the pain he must be feeling since he is limping, and if it is a sprain it will help with any inflamation. We'll see...

So I have done a more thorough exam of my rooster and can find no visible injuries. I checked his legs, moved them around, made sure he can still move all his toes, and I checked higher up on his leg underneath the feathers and cant see anything wrong. He never made a noise or indicated that I was causing pain. All I can think is that he must have sprained or strained something that day. I am going to try administering 1/2 a baby aspirin to see if that helps reduce the pain he must be feeling since he is limping, and if it is a sprain it will help with any inflamation. We'll see...

Thanks for update, does sound like a sprain and hopefully with time he will be back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom