Limping Rooster

gog8tors

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2016
Well folks between the hens, not laying where they are supposed to, and coop issues my roo decided to add limping to the mess.

He is a large Americana (very handsome) and was a stray when he came to us. We've had him about 2-3 years now. Anyway he has been limping for the past week. I did not notice him limping after the coop was attacked (we still don't know what it was) over 2 weeks ago. Just this morning I did notice that his ankle (?) is swollen. I looked at his foot a couple days ago and didn't see any wounds, or anything usual about the foot.
Can some one help me out please?

My injured baby with a hurt foot was separated to ensure nobody would further injure or start picking on her. I also put her on a high protein diet including boiled chicken and fresh corn kernels. This helped her. Eating and drinking is a sign of non suffering. Let me know how it goes!

Well he is eating, and drinking and crowing, and acting normal other wise. Hopefully he'll recover without to much trouble.

Can you post photos of the "ankle", the foot and the bottom of the foot as well as the whole chicken?
smile.png

Can you post photos of the "ankle", the foot and the bottom of the foot as well as the whole chicken?
smile.png
Yeah, I can try. I have him separated from the girls. I will try to get pictures tomorrow, and get them posted.

The picture is a bit small and hard to see, but is he missing a claw on the back toe?
I can't tell if the back toe is infected or just has dirt on it.
You can soak his foot in warm epsom salt water and gently scrub the foot to clean it up so you can see if he has a wound, infection or abscess.

The picture is a bit small and hard to see, but is he missing a claw on the back toe?
I can't tell if the back toe is infected or just has dirt on it.
You can soak his foot in warm epsom salt water and gently scrub the foot to clean it up so you can see if he has a wound, infection or abscess.
He doesn't have a nail on the claw. Actually he doesn't have a nail on either of his claws.
The black is a scab. I was able to clean it, and there was a wound under it, I have soaked it in Epsom salts, then bandaged it with antibacterial ointment.
Right now it's looking better, but the swelling is still there.
He is a bit difficult to handle. He isn't the friendliest of birds. I will try to get better pictures soon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom