Limping rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jogigharbor, Apr 4, 2011.

1. jogigharbor

jogigharbor New Egg

Jan 9, 2011
    I have a 12month old Blk copper Maran Rooster that is limping. Looks like he is favoring his lt foot. I picked him up and looked at the bottom of his claw and didnt see anything thing in his foot or any noticable injury. I moved his rt leg and he kind of flinched and wont let me bend it. THis happened a couple wks ago but he seemed to get better. Now it seems worse than before. Should I splint or put coban on it to help stabalize it. He almost tops over to the side when he walks. I put a small box with some shavings in it so he could sleep and not have to try to jump to any of the roosts.
    Any advise would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    thats good your keeping him from jumping up or down right now, hopefully rest will heal it. try to keep him from moving around any more than possible right now. give him a few days of TLC and see how he is doing. you can also give him a little baby aspirin for pain.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  3. jogigharbor

jogigharbor New Egg

Jan 9, 2011
    thank you for your advice. this is the strangest thing, i went to ck on him when i got hm from wrk. he seems a lot better. but this same thing happened a couple wks ago. then this morning he was limping again. he seems fine otherwise. what kind of thing comes and goes like that? very odd. their house is very clean and chicken friendly. he has plenty of options if he is injured. and he the biggest roo. so the others dont mess with him. so hard to believe that he could have done it fighting with any of the others. and their diet is excellent, they get their layer crumble, yogurt, mealie worms, sun seeds for treats and nutri drench. they r spoiled rotten obviously. so its frusterating that he is hurt. srry i just luv my chickens and it hurts my heart to see him wobble around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by