Limping Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chick-n-itis, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Chick-n-itis

Chick-n-itis Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    The Mountains of WV
    My 6 month old Light Brahma rooster has been limping around for a couple of days now. We noticed he's missing a toenail, other than that we can't find anything else wrong. There's no swelling, no cuts and his leg seems fine. Its like he doesn't want to put pressure on his left foot. I don't know what to do for him. My chickens do free-range. Oh, and this is my rooster that was attacked by neighbor dogs in July. At least I knew how to fix him then..............he was in pretty bad shape but he has totally recovered until now when he started limping.

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Have you checked his foot pad? Perhaps something lodged in it or some sort of cut?

3. Chick-n-itis

Oct 3, 2011
    The Mountains of WV
    Yes, we have checked the bottoms of both feet and everything looks fine. Nothing is stuck in his feet and no cuts. Can he get a bruise from stomping on a rock? We have lots of rocks around here............Maybe his foot is just sore.

4. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Yes, maybe he stepped on a rock. Is there any weird coloring that leg?

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Soak his leg in some warm epsom salts water. If nothing else it will feel good to him.
    sharon

6. Chick-n-itis

Oct 3, 2011
    The Mountains of WV
    No discoloring and soaking his leg is a great idea.

Thanks for all your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by