Limping rooster

henney penny

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Northern Maine
This is my 6 month old rooster,he has been limping for 6 weeks now,it does seem a little better today.I have been keeping him in a cage so he won`t have to roost or jump.It started out slow and got worse as time went on.He has to sit and rest after he has stood or walked for awhile.He eats and drinks fine.He is a splash orpington.He is very large compared to the other orps.I keep him in the cage so I can put vit in his water and give hime extra things like eggs,yogurt meal worms and BOSS,along with his flock raiser.I`ll post some pics of his legs and feet.At first I thought he had merecks but its been 6 weeks or more and he is no worse and no othe symtons other thatn loosing his feathers,isn`t he to young to molt at 6 months?
44824_handsome_raggity_loooking_feathers.jpg

His feet looked deformed here but when he walks they look ok,but he does slap the ground when he tried to run.Any ides on what is wrong with him and will he come out of it?
44824_handsome_feet.jpg

Last edited:
I had a chick that went through this exact thing when she was just 2.5 weeks old. She couldn't walk at all for at least 5 days and it took over a week for her to get over it once she started walking again.

I have no idea what caused it, but I was able to isolate her in a cat carrier (she was small at the time) and gave her electrolyte water and continued medicated chick crumbles for the duration. The rest of the chicks went onto the electrolytes at the same time and were kept on it for almost a month afterward.

By the end I strongly suspected either avian encephalitis (it can be transferred from the hen and typically presents at 7-10 days) after lots and lots of research and observations, but she recovered fully and I can hardly tell her from my other partridge rock.

I contacted the Clemson Poultry program at the time to inquire about possible testing, and the only course of action was necropsy. I declined because the chick continued to show interest in living. I do not regret for a minute that I allowed her to live, or that I reintroduced her to the flock. She's happy and healthy.

So... I guess just keep doing what you're doing, as it sounds like he's getting better slowly but surely. You may want to pull him from any breeding plans in case this was an illness that he will be a carrier for once he recovers. Good luck!!!

In recovery (standing practice):
102179_img_2212.jpg

Most recently:
102179_rocky_posing.jpg

I would say if he's not getting worse, and he's getting around, you may want to just put him in a small pen for a while.

I usually send my orthopedic questions to Chickenzoo. I know there are many more orthopedic knowledgeable people here, but she is the one I've had the most communication with in the past.

What comes to mind is a vitamin B deficiency. Have you tried giving him Poly vi sol without Iron? I was told to give my silkie .5mls per day and that it might take up to two weeks to help. Good luck with the guy...he is beautiful
smile.png

Quote:
Leadwolf, good point. But I might go with a B-complex, since there are a few B vitamins out there. I'm not sure if Polyvisol has all the B's in there.

Back
Top Bottom