Limping rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Buckeye11, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Buckeye11

Buckeye11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    Southern Ohio
    I have a french Maran rooster that is limping for about a week. He started by putting most of his weight on his good leg and holding his other off the ground. Now he is putting more weight on his foot, is able to roost but still limps and likes to lay down. I have kept him in his run where he can't overdue his leg but he isn't getting a lot better. I checked the bottom of his foot but I can't find any cuts or sores. Not sure if it is bumblefoot since there is no black scab or large pussy area.

There is also another Maran rooster that is now getting small red sores where the new hair is growing in and in between his toes are red.

2. Buckeye11

Oct 29, 2012
    Southern Ohio
    He is also is 14 weeks old and is still crowing, eating and drinking as usual.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hey Buckeye, I'm close to Proctorville. Your Marans guy may just have a sprain which is fairly common, from jumping off a roost. I know my young guys get rough and chase each other around. You might do a thorough check for lice and mites especially under the vent--this time of year they are very active. Sevin dust is great for either one, and repeat in 7-10 days. Scaly leg mites can start out with redness, and feather-legged chickens especially roosters seem prone to them. Coating the legs with castor oil or vaseline once a week may help.

4. Buckeye11

Oct 29, 2012
    Southern Ohio
    Thanks eggcessive, I'm close to Washington CH. I was hoping he just jumped off the roost wrong or something. Should I worry about dusting with seven if they don't have lice or mites, or should I only apply once there are signs?

What are the some of the signs of mites or lice because the other 18 chickens look healthy and act great?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by