Limping Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SoupytheChicken, Sep 6, 2014.

1. SoupytheChicken

SoupytheChicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    I have a young polish rooster who has recently started limping. There is no sign of bumblefoot, and I can't find any sign of a break. He also started roosting recently. Is there any way he could have torn our sprained a muscle? If so how should I treat it? Also, is there any special way I should inspect his leg?

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    How high is the roost? Sometimes they just hurt their legs and it takes a few days to quit hurting. Have you felt along it to make sure there are no bumps or cuts?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    High roosts as well as young cockerel antics can cause sprains or breaks in legs. Resting him in a cage (with food and water containing vitamin B complex) near his flock so that he can remain a part of them would be good for 1-2 weeks, then evaluate the leg again to see if it needs more rest. Look for any swelling on the foot, bones, or joints.

4. SoupytheChicken

Aug 28, 2013
    The roots is maybe 8 feet high. It's actually a support for the coop but he uses it to roost on at night. I can't find any bumps or cuts, and by what I can tell there is no swelling.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some chickens will always go to the highest point to roost, and that is twice as high as I would ever use. For heavy breeds, 3 feet is plenty high. It would probably take some doing to block off your 8 foot roost, but maybe using some plastic poultry netting it may be possible. I hope he gets better soon with rest.

6. SoupytheChicken

Aug 28, 2013
    thankyou. We originally had roosts nailed into the wall that were 3 feet high but they never used them. Their coop is in a barn and the thing he roosts on is a structure support

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by