Limping Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The ChickenKing, Oct 20, 2014.

1. The ChickenKing

The ChickenKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2014
    NY
    So, I just came back from a week long vacation and my neighbor who also has chickens took care of my flock. When I got home it was late and they were already in the coop. The next morning I came outside to give them some treats, they all ran over and my rooster followed his girls. I noticed him running weird, like almost skipping, I also noticed he walks with a slight limp in his right leg, and when he stands still for a while he'll occasionally lift up his right leg for a few moments and put it back down. Any ideas what could have happened or what I can do to fix it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Sounds like a minor injury, he should be fine with time if so. As long as he's not being compelled to over-exercise, for example if they free range and the hens like to roam far, he could end up following them longer distances than his leg is good for, or if there's high perches he jumps down from... Some chooks will take sensible care of themselves if hurt or sick, others won't.

Often when circumstances change there will be some injuries, he may have panicked about someone and hurt himself, or perhaps the person taking care of them was panicked about roosters and overreacted, or believed you control them with aggression and violence (plenty of people will just start abusing males out of presumption of attacks being incoming)... Some people think that's just how you deal with male chickens. If there were hens or roosters he met for the first time during your holiday, fights could have ensued and that's one common cause of damaged legs that occur during agistment/boarding.

If his leg is functional and he is able to walk, he should be ok, given time to heal without overextending himself.

Best wishes.

3. The ChickenKing

The ChickenKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2014
    NY
    Alright, thanks! The neighbor watching them was attacked, but my roo is very protective and probably thought she was a predator and must have freaked out, although there was a large stick in the pen, which is where they were kept in because of all the rain last week, so I'm definitely going to ask what happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by