Limping runner duck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CharS, Jun 24, 2016.

1. CharS

CharS Just Hatched

Jun 24, 2016
    Hi! New to this group & also new to ducks. Been interested in owning runner ducks for a while & now have 3. They are 8 weeks old.
    When out foraging one of my runners was spooked by something on the field behind, she bolted & ran straight into the front of a parked lawnmower. She was fine until the next morning when I noticed a slight limp, I thought it may have just been a little sore & left her to it, letting her out later & putting her to bed earlier, it's progressively got worse. She is doing everything a runner should do absolutely fine barring preening, she's struggling a little when stood up straight as she is walking/stood on her tiptoes & not putting weight on the back on her foot. It's been 5 days now & I haven't seen a difference. Is there anything I can do to help her? I have checked her foot & leg, all seems ok & the same as the other leg, no heat, no lumps, bumps. I've also noticed she's in the pool a lot more than the other 2 runners. Is she more comfortable in water? I'm very much a newbie in all of this & any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The pool helps her keep weight off the leg.

I would try Epsom salt compresses twice a day, followed by a tiny dab of something like T-Relief ointment on the leg and foot at night (so she won't rinse it off swimming).

Epsom salt is a laxative, so the compresses keep her from being able to ingest it. Some people put Epsom salt solution in a small flat-bottomed shallow bucket and hold the duck standing in the bucket, keeping the duck from drinking it.

3. CharS

CharS Just Hatched

Jun 24, 2016
    Thank you for the advice. I'll get some Epsom salts from my local pharmacy & give it a go. Where can I get t relief from?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Our pharmacy carries it, as does the health food store.

5. CharS

CharS Just Hatched

Jun 24, 2016
    Ok, I'll have a look at my local one. Thanks again.

6. CharS

CharS Just Hatched

Jun 24, 2016
    I now think it's her hip. I had hold of her today and had another feel of each leg for comparison. One hip feels higher up than the other by about half an inch, the lower one is the leg she is lame on. Going to have to phone round some vets tomorrow and see if they will see a duckie patient :(

7. CharS

CharS Just Hatched

Jun 24, 2016
    So she has seen an exotic vet. She think it her knee/ankle bone (the nobbly but in the front of her leg) she also said there is a possibility it's just soft tissue. She said X-ray, sedation but gave antiimflamatories for now, if no better in a 4-5 days then she is to be xrayed. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by