Limping Silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kiddywinks5, Oct 13, 2011.

1. kiddywinks5

kiddywinks5 New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    Hi, was wondering if anybody could give me some advice please. I have 3 bantams (1 Silkie 1 Pekin and another which is a Pilkie). My silkie has a really bad limp which i noticed the other day. I thought she may have sprained it but been out today and shes missing all of her lovely feathers off the top of her head, which have obviously been pulled out by one of the others. When i bought my girls they moved into my shed, a couple of months ago i decided i wanted the shed for normal purposes and bought a coop. On noticing my silkies limp i came to the conclusion that they dont like it in the coop and moved them back into the shed. Everything seems to be fine but my silkie is still limping rather badly is there anything i can do for her, cant see any signs of cuts or swelling on her. She will stand on both legs but will start to limp pretty badly when shes walking also she is still eating and drinking and there is no sign of bumblefoot. On the good foot she clenches her claw but the bad foot the toes just hang and dont move and when she does walk on it the toes seem to be curled under her foot. Does it sound broke?

2. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    If it were me, I would separate her to a small cage that limits her movement to try to get her to rest for a few days, see if that makes a difference. I've heard Marek's disease causes limping, so I'd also look up the symptoms of that and just be on the look out for any other possible signs. Hope she gets better soon.

3. kiddywinks5

kiddywinks5 New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    Thank you for your fast reply Shayna, i have now put her in a small cage inside the shed with the other so she can still see them but the cage does limit her movement. I hope she cant do herself further damage whilst in there. Ive just been reading about the symptoms of Marek's disease and although it describes limping that is the only symptom she has. She is still trying to run around the garden and even thinks she can still be bossy to my Pilkie. She is still eating and drinking and by showing her a bag of mealworm she went running (in a fashion lol) into the cage. Her eyes are clear and i bathed both of her feet to make sure there was no tiny little cut that i had missed. I found nothing. She will stand on both legs but limps only on walking x

4. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    I haven't dealt with a limping chicken myself, so hopefully someone else can chime in with ideas, but it sounds like she's doing very well otherwise. I'm hopeful that it's an injury that can heal itself with the confined rest. I have a soft spot for silkies, [​IMG] she feels better soon!

5. kiddywinks5

kiddywinks5 New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    She does seem to be her normal self apart from the limp. Im hoping the rest will help her foot and her feathers grow back. She is such a character, she sunbathes with my cat and comes running when you call her name (Pom Pom). Thanks for your help Shayna and i will keep you posted on her progress x

6. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Pom Pom- That's such a cute and fitting name for a silky! I hope to hear good news!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by