Limping Silkie!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Classy Chick, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Classy Chick

Classy Chick Chirping

Oct 18, 2012
    I went outside this morning and my little 5 month old silkie hen was limping heavily on her right foot. I picked her up and saw no wounds or blood, and her toes are all in order with no bumble foot. I am worried, she is my little sweet heart that follows me around every where. I have no idea what could have happened! Is there anything I could do to help it? Like wrap her leg or ice it? Thank you in advance!

2. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Can you post pics of both legs? Also did you feel any really hot areas on her legs or feet?
    No swollen areas either? The two times I had a pigeon limping was one pigeon had broken toe and the other just ended up healing by himself because I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

3. Classy Chick

Classy Chick Chirping

Oct 18, 2012
    Thank you for the reply! I will post pics tomorrow when it is light out, and will definitely check for heat. Thanks again!

4. Classy Chick

Classy Chick Chirping

Oct 18, 2012
    I couldn't get any good pics of her leg because of my bad camera. I couldn't find any swelling or heat in it, but she is still limping, and is lying down a lot. It just breaks my heart to see her like this! Should I try to wrap it? We don't have any vets here that deal with chickens, so I'm on my own in that department.

5. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    You don't think it's bumble foot?

6. Classy Chick

Classy Chick Chirping

Oct 18, 2012
    I almost wish that it was, that way I would know what to treat! But no, it isn't. I am beginning to think that she may have gotten in caught in the field fence wire that surrounds their little grass yard because I found a tuft of black feathers stuck in it, and she is the only black one in there right now. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: