Limping, sneezing, wet tail feathers?

Barredhen

Songster
6 Years
May 3, 2015
Michigan
In the fall we bought 6 chicks. One died that night, later lost two to coccidia. Treated and three made it. Never been good eaters though. Been about 2 drama free months with these last 3 but ive noticed one hopping a bit. Thought her foot was cold or she hurt it, I cannot see anything wrong. This morning shes walking funny yet but also sneezing, snotty and has a pretty wet looking butt. What could be going on?

Where did you buy the chicks—feed store, hatchery, local breeder, swap meet? It sounds like they have some immunity problems which could be related to coccidiosis, how they were brooded or coop conditions, poor genetics, or possible Mareks disease. What do you feed them? Did you have heat on them when they were baby chicks before they feathered? What do you feed them? Check to see that you have plenty of ventilation high over head in the coop, and there are no wet spots or wet bedding that might harbor mold or fecal bacteria.

Do you see any watery/bubbly eyes or swelling in an eye? I would get some Tylan 50 and a few syringes with needles in the cattle section of TSC or your feed store. Give it orally, a drop at a time, without the needle—1/4 ml per pound 3 times daily for 5 days. I would also use some probiotics 2-3 times a week. A brand name of plain yogurt has some, buttermilk as well, and Probios powder has some.

Thanks! I am worried about Mareks. No experience with it myself but? They came from a local breeder. Adults in nice coops, chicks in a seperate clean room sorted by age, heated and lights. I got them at 8 weeks old. They had full time heat lamps then evening only. For about a month now no light. They were born Sept 2018 ish? This hatchary came well recomended and rated well online but 3 chicks had defects, like a cross beak and ones missing half a toe.. Like you said, weak immune system. My coop is clean, well ventelated and dry. Just the 3 birds left in a 12x12 space. I hate to but I wonder if I should cull and start over. Even when theyre not presenting any symptoms i just feel theyre unthrifty. And when I get more chicks elsewhere- are these just going to get them sick?

I don’t know if I would cull and start over just yet, but the limping and the snotty nostril/sneezing is a little worrisome. Chickens can sneeze occasionally from environmental reasons, such as dust in feed or in the coop, and as long as it is not every few minutes, it may be normal. If the nostril has thick or colored secretions, that doesn’t sound good. If you lose or cull the sick one, getting a necropsy by the state poultry lab is a good way to find out if ahe had anything.

It is always a gamble to buy chickens from a breeder—you never know if they have had a case of this or that, and Mareks is pretty much everywhere. Wild birds can bring in respiratory diseases or you can have a chicken exposed at one point, then they might not have an outbreak until they are stressed.

I have bought a few from a breeder once, but in the future, I will only buy day old chicks from a hatchery. Even then, you still can end up with a disease.

In the fall we bought 6 chicks. One died that night, later lost two to coccidia. Treated and three made it. Never been good eaters though. Been about 2 drama free months with these last 3 but ive noticed one hopping a bit. Thought her foot was cold or she hurt it, I cannot see anything wrong. This morning shes walking funny yet but also sneezing, snotty and has a pretty wet looking butt. What could be going on?
Can you post photos of them?
What do you feed them, including treats?
Do you have other chickens besides these?

I am using a flip phone and 3g LOL... But ill try to get a video of the one walking. Shes still sneezing. Walking she puts the one foot waaay out in front when she steps, then kind of hops because the other side opperates normal. When standing she picks up and sets down the foot in question and rolls it over and stretches that leg. All 3 have always streched a lot. Just noted it bc none of my previous flocks did so often! They eat Kalmbach starter and have access to chick grit though they dont get into it. They do not go outside, nor do they get on shelves or roosts. They will not eat any treats. No fruit, veggie, meat scraps, shells or seeds. Just the feed at a really slow rate...maybe 1qt 4 or 5 days? Our previous flocks were around 10 birds, always seemed to eat 2qt a day! Plus any and all scraps. Right now, since 3 died we have just these 3. Thanks!

I have used Kalmbach feed for awhile, and found it to be fresh and my chickens like it. I would smell for any off odor, and look for any blue green mold, just in case the feed might be a problem. If the bag is more than a month or two old, you might want to buy a small bag of grower, since vitamins can leech out if it becomes old.

I would also mix some feed with a little water in a bowl, just enough for that day, and see if they will eat it better. I add a small amount of plain yogurt with live cultures to give some probioticsa couple of times a week.

Is the chick with the wet vent having leaky poo or urates? She just sounds like a weak chick. If I culled that one, I think I would get a necropsy to look for disease. Perhaps getting a fecal test from a local regular vet would be helpful, to see if she has a recurring case of coccidiosis. Here is a mail in option for fecal tests from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J5SOZ4/?tag=backy-20

Ok here is the video, thoughts? Sore foot or Marek's?

IMG_20190220_085100238.jpg

Trying again (especially the first 10 seconds of the second video? I don't know if that was she thought she was itching something or a neuro type thing?)

It looks like Mareks, since he leg seems to be numb or “asleep.” Hopefully, I’m wrong. Since Mareks can affect the sciatic nerve in the, leg movements can be uncoordinated. Injuries can sometimes affect the nerves as well.

Back
Top Bottom