Limping *update, so sad*

dovecanyon

Songster
12 Years
Oct 15, 2009
Weaverville, CA
One of my 6 week old girls has somehow hurt her foot or leg. I have checked her over very carefully, and I cannot find any visible injury. She is limping, and standing on one foot quite a bit. She will lift the bad leg, stretch it out in front of her, flex her foot then set it back down. It has been this way for two days. I wonder if I should confine her in a dog crate with food and water, to keep her off of it, or if I should give her another day or two to see if it improves on it's own. She is eating and drinking, and interacting with the other three chicks normally. She does rest more often and for longer than the others, but otherwise seems fine. Any advice will be very welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sorry... I posted this before looking through the other threads. I see one posted almost identical to mine just a few posts down. After reading the other one, I guess I'll just watch her for a day or two, then play it by ear. Thanks anyway.

So sad. My little 7 week old EE died sometime durning the night. Found her this morning. No matter what I did she just wasn't getting any better. I tried all the suggestions made to the others who were posting with this same problem. The other three girls all look and act fine, sassy and funny as usual. Dread having to tell my DS when he gets home from school. Tomorrow is his birthday... Luckily I got him a bator and some eggs for his birthday gift, hopefully that surprise will take away some of his sadness. Thanks for all the good suggestions, guess sometimes it just isn't meant to be.

Quote:
'
Oh Im sorry--hope your son doesn't take take it tooo tooo hard-heres hoping those blue eggs make him smile:)

Quote:
Yes, I was wondering if it could have been Mareks. The other three chicks were vaccinated at the hatchery, but we got this little EE at about 3 weeks old from someone nearby. I don't know if she was vaccinated. I am planning to order vaccine supplies tomorrow, to have ready when we hatch- do you have a suggestion on who I should order from?

Quote:
Thanks Natalie- as you know, he was not likely to handle loss too well right now, but surprisingly he did better than I thought he would. The blue eggs he has been dreaming about will surely make him very happy. Thank you again.

Quote:
Yep- he's a little spoiled. My miracle child... first two kids are 36 & 38 years old, Alex will be 11 tomorrow. But he's a good kid and deserves it. (Besides, I love it when he asks for something that I really want...)

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. We know this always a possibility, but are never prepared for how much it hurts when it really happens.
Life's little (and big) lessons.

my condolences.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom