Limping young hen

VanUnamed

Songster
5 Years
Jul 26, 2018
Romania
hello, one of my young hens, is limping. they are sasso chickens, kabir/mixed. they are 7 months old now.
all the hens are fine, this hen is limping and i can't understand why
I isolated her, which is also a bad thing given how cold it is out, all by herself.
she doesn't have a bumblefoot, or any visible injury, or her foot or leg. she limps about, but stays
sit most of the time.
question is, how do i check for broken bones or dislocated joints? idk if she could have some
but you never know. there are 2 roosters, with 15 hens.

Thanks

hello, one of my young hens, is limping. they are sasso chickens, kabir/mixed. they are 7 months old now.
all the hens are fine, this hen is limping and i can't understand why
I isolated her, which is also a bad thing given how cold it is out, all by herself.
she doesn't have a bumblefoot, or any visible injury, or her foot or leg. she limps about, but stays
sit most of the time.
question is, how do i check for broken bones or dislocated joints? idk if she could have some
but you never know. there are 2 roosters, with 15 hens.

Thanks
Hi! Can you feel her good leg and her bum leg to see if feel a difference, inflammation will be softer and squishy. Check for any green bruising as well.

Do you have a crate that you can put her into in the coop or run? That way she doesn't lose her place in the pecking order?

Is she eating well? How's her poops?

Hi! Can you feel her good leg and her bum leg to see if feel a difference, inflammation will be softer and squishy. Check for any green bruising as well.

Do you have a crate that you can put her into in the coop or run? That way she doesn't lose her place in the pecking order?

Is she eating well? How's her poops?
hello, sorry i didnt reply. I am not 100% on the leg, i will check again today.
She eats, and drinks fine (even though she prefers understandbly that i put it closer to her) and poops are normal

she is in the spare chicken tractor. she eats, drinks, seems to be slightly better, but still cant really walk well. i sat next to her, and held her weak foot, she did squeeze my hand a little but it's very weak. her poops are somehow weird, being white-ish/greenish liquids. She is so cute, i dont want her to die :(

You don't really need to isolate her. She would recover much better if left with her pals. You might try giving vtiamin B complex as it can help restore damaged nerve connections.

Lameness is caused by lots of things. One that no one thinks of is petroleum distillate poisoning. It can happen when chickens pick up oil coated grit under a leaky machine. A very tiny bit causes lameness. A lot causes death.

Back
Top Bottom