Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Something else

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Beezchickens

In the Brooder
May 25, 2019
Hi there.
My beloved Wyandotte has been limping for a week now. When she stands she keeps her favored leg up. But hobbles around everywhere just fine.I have been soaking her feet in warm water and epsom salt. There is no lesions, cuts or scrapes. She acts normal otherwise laying, roosting, foraging and generally happy. I have felt around her hips and legs to see if she perhaps sprained something but I can’t tell. I’ve included a picture of her foot pad. It looks black because o just put black cedar mulch on the flower beds. Any advice or how to help her would be appreciated.

Attachments

• CC0F2CFE-BF8C-4AFF-9132-37E55381789F.jpeg
    CC0F2CFE-BF8C-4AFF-9132-37E55381789F.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 10
  • 044AB3AA-B452-4B6F-A8B9-9EE43E1C371B.jpeg
    044AB3AA-B452-4B6F-A8B9-9EE43E1C371B.jpeg
    457.4 KB · Views: 8
There is no evidence of bumblefoot. Most likely she has hopped down from a high roost or other high object, like a lawn chair, and has either sprained or pulled a ligament or tendon in her leg. Lowering roosts and eliminating other high places that she can hop down from will prevent this type of injury.

It would be best to put her in a cage and provide feed and water. She needs rest and relaxation in order for the leg to heal. Hobbling around on one leg for a long time is putting too much weight on the good leg and it will eventually give out. I've had it happen with a couple of hens a long time ago. Then she wont be able to stand up at all. Try and keep the cage clean as best as you can.

Time is the only thing that will heal this type of injury, much like a sprained ankle in a human only without the swelling. Depending on the severity of the injury, the leg can heal itself in about 3-4 weeks, several months, or not at all. There may come a time that you'll have to make a tough decision taking in account her quality of life and may or may not have to cull her.

As far as treatment goes, you can purchase vitamin B complex tablets at a pharmacy. Crush several tablets into powder and sprinkle it on top of her feed to eat. The vitamin B complex may or may not help speed up the healing process, again depending on the severity of the injury.
After 7 days release her from the cage and see if she is walking normal. If not, recage her and continue with the vitamin B complex in her feed. Then release her again in another 7 days and see if there's improvement. If not, recage her again and stop the vitamin B complex treatment.

It is at this time that you'll have to make the decision to continue caging her and waiting for the leg to heal or cull her. Remember, time heals and have patience. I had a Black Star caged for 2 months before she healed, she was one of my favorites.
I've had good results with hens healing, but not so good with roosters.

Last edited:
I don't think it's bumble foot, or if it is it's in very early stages. She could have sprained it or jammed it jumping down from roost too. hard to see if there is a small cut or a sliver in there.

Is there a soft landing when they get off the roost?
I would recommend continuing the soaks 10-15 minutes, and just to be on the safe side applying antibiotic cream or dabbing some betadine on foot.

**warning it's late and I am outta coffee
Thank for your reply I’ll keep at it!

I don't think it's bumble foot, or if it is it's in very early stages. She could have sprained it or jammed it jumping down from roost too. hard to see if there is a small cut or a sliver in there.

Is there a soft landing when they get off the roost?
I would recommend continuing the soaks 10-15 minutes, and just to be on the safe side applying antibiotic cream or dabbing some betadine on foot.

**warning it's late and I am outta coffee

Back
Top Bottom