Limping

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PoultryGirly, Jan 24, 2013.

1. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Hi. I've posted about her before, but I have a female call duck, not sure of age, that has always had problems with her legs. I got her and her mate 2 summers ago at an auction. Sometimes her limp is worse and better at sometimes and sometimes she barely limps. I actually think she was injured before she got here. The 3 ducks in our duck coop weren't let out today because its really cold and snowy. She may limp a little worse because of the cold sometimes, but I'm not exactly sure. Is there anything (medicine, remedie, etc.) that I can give her anything I can do for her? She doesn't seem to be in pain and she eats and drinks fine. Like I said, she has limped all the time we have had her, but it has gotten a little worse in the past year/year in a half, I guess because she is aging. She has grown a little since we got her and she's turning white. Anyone have any advice? Thanks so much in advance!!!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have read that injuries and even some infections can cause arthritis in ducks.

That's an inflammatory disease, so some kind of duck-safe anti-inflammatory might make sense. It could be as simple as incorporating things into her diet. Some folks feed fermented feed, for example, and perhaps that is anti-inflammatory.

Some research is needed, but I would go the dietary route first.

Niacin can help resolve leg issues in ducklings, I don't know if it helps with older ducks.

What kinds of surfaces does she walk on? I am wondering if it is only her legs or if her feet also may just be sensitive.

3. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks Amiga for the suggestions. She walks on the ground (sometimes with twigs) and straw, and she also walks on the coop floor with hay. So what food or medicines specifically should I feed her? I was also thinking it was arthritis.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Going with my gut, if she were in my flock, I would get her into a lukewarm tub deep enough to float in at least once a day, for at least half an hour. Hydrotherapy is very good for ducks for many issues.

I would increase the amount of vegetables - non-starchy vegetables - and berries in her diet. Those are anti-inflammatory foods. They won't hurt her, and if they help people with inflammation, they might help a duck. Maybe try some alfalfa or sunflower sprouts. Offer her a few blueberries.

If you aren't already, I'd get some poultry vitamins-electrolytes-probiotics and add them to the water once a week for a month and see if anything gets better. A wide spectrum of vitamins may just help her system.

I would wrap the leg in an Epsom salts compress once a day for four or five days. Don't let her ingest the Epsom salts . . . it's a laxative.

Not trying to overwhelm, you, here, just tossing out anything I can think of that would help her, and each thing is not terribly complicated.

5. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Okay, I'll start giving them the vegetable like lettuce, tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, and what else? Are any of those harmful to ducks? I'll also feed sliced blueberries, but I don't know about the baths. It's really cold here and it may be too cold for her. This past summer I gave her a bath or two. It helped here the remainder of the day, but the next day she limped some. It definitely helped a little, but I think that's a spring/summer job unless I dry her off??? I'll think about the Epsom salt, but I don't get home until 4/4:30 in the evenings when it's almost dark. Oh, and I"ll probably give her the electrolytes, but will that bother the rest of my ducks? Thanks so much for the great help Amiga!

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Go light on the spinach . . . too much binds to calcium, making it less available to her body. I understand about real-life limitations. I actually carry my ducks to my tub sometimes for lukewarm baths, sometimes keeping them in the guest room overnight in the big dog crate that is sick bay / limousine.

Vitamins and electrolytes and probiotics are good supplements and once a week should not, I think, be too much for everybody. You could even give it half strength and it would still be a boost.

I feel the Epsom salts and diet may do the most good, but go with your gut.

Maybe Epsom salts on your day off? I hope you get a day off sometimes.

7. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Okay, thanks once again! And how, exactly, would I do the Epsom salts? Thanks.

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sorry I forgot to subscribe . . . sigh.

You'll need

Epsom salts
    nonbreakable small shallow bowl or similar dish
    clean paper towels or clean cloth rags or thin washcloth

Use a couple of tablespoons of E.s., place in dish
    Pour a quarter cup of warm water into the dish (maybe very warm, if the dish is cold - I like to have the compress lukewarm, not cold)
    Fold the paper towels or rag or washcloth to be about three or four inches wide, and five or more inches long
    Soak up the water in the cloth

You may need help for the next step, which is to pick the duck up or otherwise confine her. My ducks are easy to handle, so I can do it solo, usually.

Anyway, pick the duck up and wrap the leg in the cloth. Hold it there as long and you and the duck can stand it, five minutes would be super, three minutes is better than nothing.

That's it.

9. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Flax is full of Omega-3s, which are anti-inflammatory. I would start supplementing with ground flax seed, too. So are fish oils, but I'm not sure what the dose for a duck would be.

10. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks! Looked for the ground flax but I couldn't find it. Does this seem good for them? It consists of green cabbage, tomato flesh, and chopped blueberries.
    I also got the electrolytes...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by