Limping

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BrownEyedGal, Nov 15, 2013.

1. BrownEyedGal

BrownEyedGal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2013
    Liverpool - UK
    Hi everyone. Today I noticed one of our ducks seems to be limping. She's still getting around pretty quickly but when she's on the decking she's definitely got a limp.

We tried to take some pics of her feet. They're not the best, but what do you think? I think maybe the top part of one of her feet looks a little swollen. Please advise. Thanks!

Left foot:
    [​IMG]

Right foot:
    [​IMG]

2. BrownEyedGal

Sep 19, 2013
    Liverpool - UK
    [​IMG]

3. BrownEyedGal

Sep 19, 2013
    Liverpool - UK
    So she's still limping today and its definitely the right foot that's the problem. She's still getting around fine but I don't want it to progress and I wish I knew what has happened.

If its the beginning of bumblefoot, they're not on hard surface all the time, they've got grass and flower beds that they go in.

I've read Epsom salts, warm baths and apple cider vinegar. Any other suggestions? Help very much appreciated! Thanks

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    From the pics it looks like some small bumbles so yes begin the soaks [don't let her drink the ES water] then get some colorless iodine[ I found some at CVS and also Walmart after soaking and drying put the colorless iodine on with a q tip top and bottom let it stay on there for about 3 days and watch then soak again. I'll get you the link
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/807777/bumblefoot-new-ideas-on-treatment-with-pictures do the treatment ignore the fussing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  5. BrownEyedGal

Sep 19, 2013
    Liverpool - UK
    Ok thanks so much for that! just need to try and track that stuff down, harder to find in the UK I think.

Which bits do you think are bumbles?

If its bumble foot, what can we do to try and prevent it happening again/to the other duck? I thought their environment was quite good but obviously something's not right if she's got sore feet!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  7. BrownEyedGal

Sep 19, 2013
    Liverpool - UK
    Ok thanks very much for the help will give it a try hopefully will sort her out! :)

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Let me know how it goes and if you can't find any of the colorless iodine and we'll look into other treatments.

9. BrownEyedGal

Sep 19, 2013
    Liverpool - UK
    Thanks very much, will do! Really appreciate the help!

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Any updates?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by