Limping :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamaj323, Mar 3, 2014.

1. mamaj323

mamaj323 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2013
    Murphys, Ca
    Today I have noticed that my 24week Cuckoo Marans, Capt. Megasus (son named her), has a slight limp. It's not drastic, but its definitely a limp. I've checked her feet and there's no sign of bumble foot. Her joints aren't swollen and there is no heat. She laid today. Her crop feels like she's eaten. Should I leave her in the run with her family and just keep an eye on her? or should I put a cage in the coop and have her rest? Any suggestions would be great!

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I have done both with different chickens. I would probably cage her in the coop for a day or so just to force her to kind of take a rest. The limp may go away or may not. I have had both with that as well. I just fgure they are like us and sprain things and get sore joints and whatever.

Good luck. Hope she getsbetter.

3. mamaj323

Sep 7, 2013
    Murphys, Ca
    Ok. She's not moving around out there. Just been standing in one place and pecking the grass at her feet. I'm going to put the cage in the coop with food and water. What else should I do for her? How long should I make her rest it?

4. mamaj323

Sep 7, 2013
    Murphys, Ca
    Thank you @Puddin Fluff I will give her a couple days in there. :)

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree with the use of the cage inside the coop or run to save her place in the flock. I would keep her in their for a week, put some poultry vitamins (especially B complex) in her water, and add some grit and oyster shell to her feed. Then check her ability to walk, and if not improved, put her back for another week. A sprain or broken leg is the most common problem, but other things that can cause limping are mycoplasma synoviae, viral arthritis (tenosynovitis,) or Mareks disease. Hopefully it is just a sprain from too high a roost or an injury.

6. mamaj323

Sep 7, 2013
    Murphys, Ca
    Thank you! She is set up in her large cage like a princess. But she is not at all happy. I hope that she just landed wrong from the roost. I have looked up Mereks and the others you noted so I can keep my eye out for other symptoms. Fingers crossed shes better in a week or two!

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I hope she starts getting better soon. Is she down on the floor of the coop where she can "visit" with her friends? If they go outside, maybe her cage could go out to or at least to the run in the daytime.

8. mamaj323

Sep 7, 2013
    Murphys, Ca
    Yes, she's on the floor. There were always a couple girls in with her today when I went to check. Sometimes on top peeking down at her. That's a good idea to put her out during the day. I won't have to worry about it for a few days though as we have a bit of rain coming through. She'll have her entire family keeping her company as they hide from the storm. Except the few brave ones anyways!
    One more question, since she's not on the roost at night, is she warm enough without a snuggle buddy? I put plenty of extra bedding for her to snuggle in to and it's not that cold. High 30s low 40s at night. Should I add a friend? Bring her in? Or is she ok?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since she seems healthy enough except for the limp, I would probably leave her outside. She should be plenty warm getting down in her bedding.

10. mamaj323

Sep 7, 2013
    Murphys, Ca
    I'm not sure if she is really resting that leg. She is so mad about the cage that she paces and squaks all day. She isn't holding it up anymore but she still has a little limp. I am hesitant to let her out, but she might rest it more without confinement. Thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by