Limpy chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by selinagil, Feb 24, 2009.

1. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

My one year old Ameraucan hen is limping on one foot--she will put weight on it but not much and when she runs she only puts it down to push off a little bit. I picked her up to see if she had something on the bottom of her foot or if it was injured, broken or swollen, but it all seemed fine. She's been out all day free ranging with the other hens and it doesn't seem to bother her much--just wanted to see what everyone else thinks. [​IMG]

2. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Had this happen to a RIR. I think she twisted it while foraging. She came out of it just fine in about a week. Just keep a close eye on it and her......

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Same thing happened to my Lilith (come to think of it, what doesn't happen to my Lilith? [​IMG] )
    We isolated her in dog kennel overnight. By the next morning she was walking on it fine and ready to rejoin the flock.

4. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks to the both of you--Baby is acting much better today! I was so upset too--she is my favorite chick, solid white Ameraucana!

[​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    She's very pretty. Glad to hear she's doing better. [​IMG]

6. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Glad she's better!

I have one that could be her twin sister!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by