Limpy day 1 out of the egg? NEW VIDEO POST #8

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jeffross1968, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Might be acting a little over worried, but one of my chicks is favoring one leg, acting a pretty limpy. Is there something I should be looking out for? Is it possible it's just weaker than the other leg because of how it was sitting in the egg? Normal...not normal? Watching him/her as I type, it's definitely not wanting to put much pressure on it...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I should note that after researching, I ruled out leg spray and curled toe. Examining the foot, it looks as normal as all the other little feet running around in there. So maybe just sore? Hrm...

3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Is it possible to be splayed leg on a single leg? Seems like one leg is often out to the side, and the chick sits more often than the other 2. Opinions?

4. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Anyone have any idea what I'm dealing with? If there is something I should do early, I want to make sure I do it.

5. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I wonder if the hock (knee part) is dislocated?? There is a thread somewhere where you pop it back into place, although I have never had luck with it.

6. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:I can't seem to see anything specifically wrong. It can walk. But in short spurts, and then it will sit and often times, lay the leg out to one side. It's just almost as if it's either very sore for some reason, or weaker than the other leg/foot.

7. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Can anyone help me with this please? It's on day 2, and it's leg has not improved. It's stumbling around a bunch because it doesn't want to put pressure on that foot. That leg seems to go out too far to the side. Will the bandaid trick work for something like this?

8. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Took some video just in case that might help...

9. deChickyHen

deChickyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Quote:when I recieved my chicks, 1 of the RIRs was like that, i was told by my neighbor to used wood shavings instead of paper because of something called spradling and in a few days she was fine, i put about 3 inches of the shavings down in the brooder ans she loved it

10. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:when I recieved my chicks, 1 of the RIRs was like that, i was told by my neighbor to used wood shavings instead of paper because of something called spradling and in a few days she was fine, i put about 3 inches of the shavings down in the brooder ans she loved it

Ok, I have pine shavings a couple inches deep, but a paper towel on top. I read somewhere that you should use the paper towel especially for chicks with foot or leg problems. Hopefully it does well like yours. Thank you very much for the reply...really appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by