sunnyquails2

Hatching
Sep 22, 2017
Hi guys!

Just hatched out my first batch of quail getting 9 out of 11 eggs. All hatched on the 19th day, 7 of the babies were born fine with no issues and are happy healthy chicks but one was born with splayed legs and another was born with a wonky hock.

They are currently just under two weeks old and the other 7 are doing brilliantly, and up until now the two with leg issues were fine too but just in the last few days I've noticed that they seem to be having issues walking/moving about the brooder. They can both move on their own but one looks like it is struggling quite a bit and both are reluctant to stand properly using their hocks.

I was wondering is there anything I could do to help them? Is this normal for chicks to have leg problems when developing? Should I take them to a vet?

This is the first time I have raised poultry of any kind so any advice/tips are very welcome!!
Thanks in advance

Can you post pictures? Have you treated the splayed leg?

Hi thanks for getting back to me

I will try and post some pictures on this thread tomorrow
We treated the splayed leg using vetwrap making a shackles type thing
I used this guide (http://www.urbanchickenpodcast.com/ucp-blog-025/)
He had it on for about a week until he was walking normally and then we took it off, he was walking normally up until I noticed him yesterday

thanks

Back
Top Bottom