Line-breeding

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ziggywiggy, Aug 16, 2010.

1. ziggywiggy

ziggywiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    McNeal, AZ
    So we don't hijack the previous thread here's what I said: Right now I have a problem with my MW hens not finishing their sets. They smash the eggs while they are hatching. This is a trait I want to cull out and I may have to bring in outside hens to accomplish it. Once I accomplish that goal, I will probably line-breed my flock. When you think about it, how much genetic diversity can there be in MW's? They all originated from 6 birds. Anyone who breeds MW's is line-breeding or am I missing something here?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. BubAnna Angus

BubAnna Angus Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Tipton, MI
    I'm not familiar with turkey breeding, but with cattle we confirm that there are at least 4 generations/branch differences before breeding (line breeding).
    I assumed that in-breeding was anything more closely related- father/daughter, mother/son, brother/sister, etc.
    So, although you may have a single line, you could viably either line breed or inbreed; right? Depending on how you mate them. . .
    I.D.K. [​IMG]

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Ok Ziggy here we go, i'll help all I can. I don't do alot of cut and paste from other sources what I know is from personal experience.

You can inbreed poultry very closely and not run into problems

If you inbreed your poultry you don't have to give them 2 names like Joe Bob or Billy Rae or Bobby Sue

They won't know how to play the banjo at hatch.

And they will never have 2 heads

[​IMG]

Steve

4. ziggywiggy

ziggywiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    McNeal, AZ
    The way I understand it is breeding uncles to nieces, aunts to nephews, cousins(not first cousins), grandsire or granddam to grandaughter or grandson is line-breeding. Never breed sibblings or parents to offspring. Meticulous records must be kept to breed in traits that are desirable.
    Of course in humanes, this is all considered in-breeding. Go figure.

5. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Resolution is the person for knowing different methods of "line breeding" I would call it close breeding as some methods are son back to mother etc but in horses full brothers and sisters are only 50% related and I know with some methods of poultry breeding you want to have full sisters to start....like I said I will be starting this spring and at first I'm just going with vitality and type then I'll worry about other things..

6. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Quote:[​IMG]:lau:lau:lau:lau

And the right number of toes too, I guess!

7. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Nothing wrong with a few extra toes... think how much better they could stick to their perch in a typhoon!

8. Tunastopper

Tunastopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
  9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

The first thing you want to decide is what you are breeding for. APA shows, fast growth/meat production, egg laying, preservation of the breed or all. Good quaility stock to start with is also very important, that way you aren't going to have any suprises on your first hatch. Record keeping is very very important (numbered bands are the only way to go) You need to be able to track each birds "pedigree" all the way back. What you are doing is controled inbreeding. Here is a chart that shows breeding a pair. Note the mixes in each generation, 1/2, 3/4 & 1/4, 7/8 & 1/8. An old rule of thumb is don't breed closer then 7/8's, quite a few people do breed closer so that's a general rule.

[​IMG]

Notice on the 5th generation this chart adds new blood. How do you do that and matain a closed flock? Most people have more than one pair of turkeys so if you breed another pair the same way there is your new blood.

Steve

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  10. Tunastopper

Tunastopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    That is inbreeding not line breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by