Linebreeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kfacres, Jul 15, 2011.

1. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Anybody out there have a (known) strict linebreeding program in place within their flocks? Something that is a very common practice in other species of livestock.

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Line breeding is a common practice in poultry breeding as well. Most successful breeders line breed. I have line bred a flock of Single Comb Rhode Island Red Bantams for 23 years.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Line breeding requires one gender (male or female) you are breeding back to to be of quality desired. Gender not being bred back to is selected with each generation of that sex. It keeps quality of existing line high. If quality stock not starting point for gender to be bred back to, then line breeding will hinder improvement. A different breeding system that requires selection of both genders and shorter reproductive lifetimes. In that case you are selecting to make change. My efforts usually start from what approximates crap so linebreeding will not be employed by me until line has characteristics desired.

4. kfacres

Jul 14, 2011
    [

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  5. kfacres

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:Actually, linebreeding can be far more broad that either of the two scenarios that you mentioned. Linebreeding is the centering of a genepool around one outstanding individual through such matings as father/ daughter; mother/ son; half brother/ half sister; grandson/ daughter; etc; etc. I wouldn't state that linebreeding is used to bring about, and encourage change-- but more towards the opposite. It's a proven fact that linebreeding actually pro-creates a loss of 'vigor'-- but the added consistancy and prepotency far out weighs the negitory side.

NYREDS :

Today 10:45 am Line breeding is a common practice in poultry breeding as well. Most successful breeders line breed. I have line bred a flock of Single Comb Rhode Island Red Bantams for 23 years..

Are you keeping accurate pedigree and performance information, or are you just a closed flock that keeps the best of the best each year and then mates them together.

I supposed, it would be very hard to keep extremely accurate pedigrees on chickens in general, unless you had the hens seperated to know which eggs come from which hens... either that, or keep an entire flock of full siblings.​

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Quote:So when should I expect the loss of, "vigor" in my fowl?
    Ive been Line-breeding my fowl for about 8 years now.

Chris

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:No.. you wont lose Vigor if you Cull against it..

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:No.. you wont lose Vigor if you Cull against it..

[​IMG]
    I know, I wanted to see what kfacres answer was.

Chris

9. kfacres

Jul 14, 2011
    the same as the person above me stated.

8 whole years? Man isn't that something! [​IMG]
    On a different, but similar note, I have a sheep flock that has been linebred, since atleast 1929. I could count the number of outcross indivuals added to it, on about one hand in that time frame. During my tenure with that particular set, I have never used an outcross ram of more than 25% with the intent to retain offspring, but only for the hybrid vigor effect of creating sale sheep to win National Champion banners.

If you are thinking I'm one against linebreeding-- afraid you're wrong.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I didn't think you were against line-breeding, I wanted to see your answer.
    Now, if you wasn't trying to be sarcastic you would have see I wrought, "Ive been Line-breeding my fowl for about 8 years now" and the key word being Ive (or I).
    The Line that I am talking about has been Line-bred a lot longer than 8 years, more closer to 20 between me and the previous breeder. [​IMG]

Chris.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by