lineoleum flooring??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kennedyscochins, Aug 27, 2010.

1. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Songster

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    I am going to be putting linoleum flooring down for my chicken coop. Was wondering if I should use the 12 x 12" pieces or just a 9 ft. x 9ft. piece. Also, what should I expect to pay for it? I just called a local store who said they had scrap that i could buy for $30-$40. Is that high for scrap linoleum?

2. kellipzo

kellipzo In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Heart of Dixie
    I would NOT recommend the 12"x12". If moisture gets in the seams, they can lift.

3. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Songster

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    We used the 12 x 12 sticky tiles, and yes they are coming up where there is moisture and high traffic. It was super easy to put down, but I probably wouldn't use it again.

4. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Are you getting a quote for real linoleum? Or do you mean vinyl? Quite a big price difference between the two.

I just painted my plywood floor. It was quick, easy and inexpensive.

5. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Songster

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:X2

Use the scrap pieces, much easier to lay and last much,much longer than the individual tiles.

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I used a big piece of scrap. I paid $50 ( i think ) for a pretty good sized piece. Probably could have used that to re-floor my kitchen and bathroom instead. [​IMG]
    I wouldn't use the squares, if it were me.

7. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Get the large scrap piece and don't be afraid to bicker over price!!! I have taught my husband well...he went into Lowes looking for a scrap piece of linoleum this spring, they had one for sale for $52.00. He flat out told the guy he came into the store not wanting to spend more than $10. They sold it to him for $10! DH is not a price dickerer so I was proud of him. The store's objective is to move that product, so tell them what you are willing to pay for it! Good luck. [​IMG]

8. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    I have vinyl in some of my newer coops.
    LOVE it!

make sure to tack down the edges or might peel up and the chickens will want to peck at it if uncovered. Molding or 1x2's or 2x2's are pretty cheap

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:awesome! [​IMG]

10. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Songster

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Quote:This may be silly, but what's the difference in linoleum and vinyl flooring?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by