Lining brooder for 3 week old chicks

ChattyChicken64

In the Brooder
May 6, 2021
Hi there,
I am wondering what to use for the bottom of my brooder for our 3 week old chicks. We have been using newspaper covered with paper towels, but I noticed last night that they are eating the paper towel! I read that a lot of people recommend shavings, but we have their brooder (which is a very large puppy crate) in a room right off of our bedroom, so I'm worried about dust from shavings. Is there another option? Or is the "dust" not a problem?

It has been very chilly here in MA lately, and I'm worried about rats, so I've been very hesitant to put them in the basement.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Hi there,
I am wondering what to use for the bottom of my brooder for our 3 week old chicks. We have been using newspaper covered with paper towels, but I noticed last night that they are eating the paper towel! I read that a lot of people recommend shavings, but we have their brooder (which is a very large puppy crate) in a room right off of our bedroom, so I'm worried about dust from shavings. Is there another option? Or is the "dust" not a problem?

It has been very chilly here in MA lately, and I'm worried about rats, so I've been very hesitant to put them in the basement.

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Are your coop and run built? I'd finish brooding them in the coop if they are and put them on pine shavings. They will be very much happier and healthier outside.
I and my broody hens have raised many batches of chicks outdoors exclusively in late April/early May in NY where the chicks see temps down in the low 20s. I've never had an issue. They always thrive as long as they have a heat source in a draft free area.
Oh, and welcome to BYC!

I second moving them outside. These little guys hatched 4/10/21, so almost 4 weeks old. They are in an unheated barn and have a 125 watt lamp. They will be moved to a tractor in the run for their look but don't touch period on 5/15/21. It is 22 degrees right now. They are having no problem staying warm. I used straw over a tarp. They love digging in the straw.
20210504_175924.jpg
20210504_175909.jpg

Back
Top Bottom