Lining incubator with tin foil or wax paper

yanmar1610d

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 8, 2010
Hinesville, GA
Just wondering if anyone lines their incubators with tin foil or wax paper to save clean up time? Think about using tin foil to line my LG.

Last edited:
Lining the bottom with either one might not be a bad idea to catch the feather dander, shell bits, and other detritus that ends up in the bottom of the incubator.

But NOT in the hatching trays where the chicks will be on it. Those are much too slick. They need something that will give them some traction or they might develop spraddle leg.

For my hatching trays I use that non-skid rubbery feeling shelf-liner stuff (can't recall what it's name is). It's porous to allow some air flow, cleans up very easily and can withstand bleaching, and gives the birds great traction.

I lined my home made bator with foil backed foam board - foil side out.

Setting the first batch later this week - but clean up of dust & debris from building is a snap! Just wipe it down with a paper towel.

Our little itty-bitty, uber-tiny tabletop 3-egg bator came with foil lining in the bottom. It says it is there to help regulate the temp in the bator. In fact, for a short period the temp had dropped a few degrees, and hubby moved the little piece of foil so it reflects the light & the temp stabilized within a couple of minutes.

Just a thought....would the lining interfere with the water trays in the bottom that would affect the humidity??
hu.gif

Quote:
My lining is water proof - so the bator holds the humidity a little better. since my bator was made out of old cedar boards I just imagined them sucking every drop of moisture from the eggs so I felt that was a good solution.

I had humidity questions when running my trials - it was running at 40% - I thought that was too low & got some advice - now its running at 45% & I have plenty left if I need to raise it.

The nice thing with the foil is if I spill water it doesn't soak into anything & after a while it has evaporated into the air.

My water trays just sit in the bottom - on top of the lining.

Any homemade liner could block air coming in lower vents an evaporation from water trays. So I say its not a good idea on a "factory" foam incubator but might be ok on other types... Assuming the chicks never touch it.

Quote:
My lining is water proof - so the bator holds the humidity a little better. since my bator was made out of old cedar boards I just imagined them sucking every drop of moisture from the eggs so I felt that was a good solution.

I had humidity questions when running my trials - it was running at 40% - I thought that was too low & got some advice - now its running at 45% & I have plenty left if I need to raise it.

The nice thing with the foil is if I spill water it doesn't soak into anything & after a while it has evaporated into the air.

My water trays just sit in the bottom - on top of the lining.

But the OP stated that it was for an LG. I'm still clueless.

Sorry - I have no experience with an LG. I can only give advice on what I have done.

My vents are cut through the foil & air circulates well.

If you already have a foam inc - there is no need for it. But in my case I wanted the extra insulation

Back
Top Bottom