lining the hatcher floor

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by horsejody, Feb 26, 2008.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Today is day 18. When I stop turning them tonight and add more water should I cover the wire mesh floor with something? Should I put paper towels down or a piece of that no slip rubber for under rugs like some people have talked about. My biggest fear is that it will cover the water trays and prevent the humidity from rising up adequately. What do you guys think? Is the mesh safe? Will their toes get caught?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Wire mesh is fine. I find it is great for the chicks to learn how to get traction. You can put those shelf liners in there if you want too as they will work. Just don't block air flow over the water and humidity will rise no problem.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I don't use anything either...just the wire mesh...as silkie said you don't want to block your airflow or humidity....some use the shelf liner....

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Thanks, I'll just use the mesh.

5. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you decide to use the shelf liner you won't have any problems with it decreasing your humidity. I use it all the time just because it makes the bator easier to clean if you happen to have a messy hatch and have no problems.

Good luck!!!!

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by