Link for "color calculator" Please...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by VI KING RANCH, Nov 5, 2011.

1. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    as the title says....I lost the link [​IMG]

2. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
  3. Gagirly

Gagirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Perry, GA
    Can someone tell me how to use this color calculator ?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

There
    are some different versions of this one. I'm used to this version. The main way to learn to use it is to play with it. There are many differnt levels you can take it.

An easy way to start with this version. Where it says "Choose Color" in English, select from the list for a rooster and a hen. For practice choose a "Red" rooster and "Barred, Cuckoo" hen.

Then hit "To Chicken Calculator" on the right. An second screen will open. Go down to where it says "Calculate Crossing" and hit that. You will see your results, a barred rooster and a black hen. You just made a black sex link.

Then go down to "Continue with this male" and "Continue with this female" and select those. Then hit "Calculate Crossing" to see what those options are. You should now be addicted and amazed at what you could get.

You can also go where it lists the different genes and change those to see what differences they make. I'm talking abotu where you see E, Co, Db and all those.

There is a write-up down below telling you how to do it and some links that can help a lot.

Remember that these are generic, general results. They do not show leakage and other things. For example, in my example, the black sex link hen is shown as solid black. In reality, with this cross, you often get red or gold leakage around the neck. That does not show up here

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    On the first link there is also a tab that says "show examples" and you can just click on the picture of the bird color you want to use.

There is even more on the site if you look around like calculating skin color, muff & beard, combs, etc.

6. ziL

ziL Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Oswego County, NY
    I tried it, but other languages kept coming up, so I got confused and gave up. Now I just ask you people what you think I'd get. [​IMG]

7. ziL

ziL Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Oswego County, NY
    So now I started messing around with it and probably will all night. [​IMG] Try the black patterned yellow/golden columbian rooster with the blue patterned silver incomplete-columbian hen, and you could spend an hour looking at them all!

8. Gagirly

Gagirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Perry, GA
    I fooled around with it until I was more confused than when I started. I used the pictures but when I got the results it showed a picture followed by about 6 lines of genes. Didn't know how to interpret all of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by