Link to NECROPSY PHOTOS - from post "too late to help"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladrholman, Nov 8, 2010.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    wow, the liver looks bad. So sorry about your loss. no clue but keep it going! Bump!!!

3. HappySlappyFarm

HappySlappyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    Massillon, OH
    That very well could be blackhead disease. I just lost a hen & a male turkey from that. The liver was enlarged with that same spotting. They also that a sulfar looking &
    bright green poo. The meds can be ordered from Meyer hatchery & they will tell you the dosages. I did this & all my chickens are fine now & haven't lost anymore. They're
    all gaining weight & looking healthier. Still have my second turkey! He made it!! His name is Grampa! lol [​IMG]

Here's Grampa. I gave him a mirror after his brother (Monster) died cause he was upset.

[​IMG]

4. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Great job on the investigation and photos. Blackhead does sound like a possible, though I am not familiar with it. Could foul chorera be another possibility? Spotty liver in the RIR and sudden unexplain death in the EE.

5. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I looked at blackhead disease as well... seemed to fit some of the symptoms... what type of medication did you use... I live in Canada so will have to find a kind here. I do note that a lot of my girls don't seem to be gaining weight like I thought they should. They are still active, but so were the RIR and Americauna before they died. Does anyone know if there is any disadvantage to treating for balckhead... Happy Slappy did you get some form of confirmation before treating?? Or just go on symptoms? Thanks

6. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Oh and sorry to hear about your losses. Grampa looks like quite the boy!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by