Link to sample letter promoting chickens in suburbs??? Fighting HOA

ktgrok

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
My home owners association has a clause that says no poultry. Now, I should explain that this is NOT the typical condo commando type HOA. The dues are minimal (200 per year), and they don't really do much of anything. Most yards right now look kind of crappy due to the recession, the playground has grafitti on it and tons of fire ants, etc. Very laid back, to say the least. So I'm HOPING that this might actually work.

What I need to do is address the board at a meeting and try to convince them to allow backyard chickens. Years ago I spent countless hours putting together a packet of information, pictures, statistics, and wrote a great letter. I don't have that kind of time now that I have a 1 year old and was hoping someone has already put that together and I can just modify it. I want to adress the noise, cleanliness, etc issues, sample rules and limits, etc.

Thanks!

Katie

First, read your documents and see whether the board even has to power to modify the provision against chickens. Chances are that if it is a RULE, the board can change it, but if it is a part of the CC&Rs, the board is very unlikely to have the power to make that change; that right is almost always reserved to the membership, anf the percentage necessary to make a change is usualy 2/3rds or 3/4ths of the membership (not just those that actually vote, but the entire membership). Some CC&Rs have no provisions for making changes except at specified intervals (like every 20 or 25 years), and in that case you would need 10% of hte members to agree.

Back
Top Bottom