linoleum floor adhesive?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dlaciv12, May 17, 2009.

1. dlaciv12

dlaciv12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    If you used linoleum on the floor of your coop did you use an adhesive? Staple gun? Leave it loose for removal? And why?
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:I haven't built my house yet, but I intend to use linoleum.

I don't plan on using adhesive and will lay the linoleum so that the edges will continue on up the walls hopefully at least 6"-10" so that the walls will also be protected by it since I'll be using the deep litter method. I'm thinking of simply using some type of 1-by material (probably scrap wood) as "quarter round" to hold the linoleum in place. I really don't think adhesive is necessary, but other's may think otherwise. [​IMG]

ETA: For the very upper edges of the linoleum that will be fastened to the walls staples will probably work fine, or either a thin wood strip tacked over the edge of the linoleum.

Best wishes,
    Ed

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I have used a staplegun in some places, screwing thru wood or metal battens in other places (with or without caulk hidden under the batten).

I won't use glue because I want to be able to take it up easily when it needs replacement or if a lot of water floods underneath for some reason and I need to be able to dry the subfloor out.

In terms of flatness, it helps to install it in hot weather and leave it flat outdoors in the sun for some hours before installing, so it is supple and can more easily be pulled flat for installation. I've put it in in November subfreezing weather and boy that doesn't work very well.

Pat

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I used linoleum nailed down with roofing nails. Staples kept getting pulled out even when they were longer. Unfortunately, my linoleum has a seam running through the center and I have never been able to secure that to my satisfaction. The best thing I've come up with has been running duct tape along the seam to prevent stuff from getting embedded under the linoleum. I have to replace the duct tape about every 6 months.
    P.S. I love having the linoleum floor! It makes cleaning a breeze and I'm pretty sure it has extended the life of the coop. Best idea ever!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:The metal strips they sell for covering the edges of vinyl flooring in houses work well. (They are ridiculously expensive but sometimes you can get used ones for cheap or free). Secure the edges of the seam well, individually, to your coop floor using staples or whatever; then screw the metal strip down to cover the actual joint between pieces. It doesn't catch your rake or shovel very much at all, and keeps the loose ends down and covered.

A wood batten (like scraps of molding) screwed down in that way will work too, but catches shovels/forks more obnoxiously so you have to remember where it is.

Have fun,

Pat

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The metal strips they sell for covering the edges of vinyl flooring in houses work well. (They are ridiculously expensive but sometimes you can get used ones for cheap or free). Secure the edges of the seam well, individually, to your coop floor using staples or whatever; then screw the metal strip down to cover the actual joint between pieces. It doesn't catch your rake or shovel very much at all, and keeps the loose ends down and covered.

Thanks! I will look into that.​

7. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    One coop design we were checking out, left it loose and used it to roll the sides up and basically funnel the shavings out into a trash...looked pretty handy to leave it loose for that reason alone. [​IMG]

8. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    m2 .... great coop.. I think we will have the
    linoleum lose and not stapled down.
    as we were going to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by