Linoleum Flooring Question?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DeBerryJacket, Oct 20, 2017.

1. DeBerryJacket

DeBerryJacket In the Brooder

Sep 21, 2017
    DeBerry, TX
    When laying down linoleum flooring over the floor of the coop, what do you make it stick with? Do you tack it down with staples? Do you use the glue/adhesive like you would inside a house?

Thanks!

Sorry if already posted somewhere. I searched but didn't find it.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would use staples or roofing nails with the big head, but I haven't used it. Hopefully others will share their experiences.

DeBerryJacket likes this.
  3. 8 Chicks 1967

8 Chicks 1967 Songster

Oct 18, 2017
    Morganton North Carolina
    If it's a fiberglass or foam back vinyl you can use pressure sensitive glue. Cut your piece to fit and then fold back a side at a time and glue it with a 3/8 nap paint roller. The key is to let it dry completely. Then press that side in the glue. Do the other side then repeat. Do not buy a paper back vinyl because it will mold in time. Oh, if you let the glue dry totally you can remove it when it's time to change. If you don't it becomes a perminate bond and you will have to chisel it off. This is what I do all day every day. lol! I'm a flooring dealer.

DeBerryJacket and CapricornFarm like this.
  4. CapricornFarm

CapricornFarm Happy Father's day! Premium Member

May 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    I just cut my vinyl flooring and tacked quarter round along all the edges. So if i ever have to pull it up, i have no glue to deal with.

5. 8 Chicks 1967

8 Chicks 1967 Songster

Oct 18, 2017
    Morganton North Carolina
    Only problem with that is.....If there is no glue water can get in between the vinyl and your subfloor and prematurely rot it. The glue now can be purchased in a "Pressure sensitive" form and it is releasable with pressure but will #1 hold your floor and #2 protect it from water or mold build up due to cleaning with the ol' hose. So, you are doing two things. holding the floor solid and protecting you sub- surface.

DeBerryJacket likes this.
  6. 8 Chicks 1967

8 Chicks 1967 Songster

Oct 18, 2017
    Morganton North Carolina
    This area i'm an expert. Chickens, I depend on you guys!:ya

7. Jadenrosesmom

Jadenrosesmom Chirping

Sep 9, 2017
    I used heavy duty staples and hammered them down extra since the staple gun didn't get all of them down all the way.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I didn't use anything, except a couple screws where it goes up the wall 8-9" on the ends. Used a single sheet, bent up edges, to keep any spills from getting under.
    ETA: this is vinyl, not linoleum...I think many confuse the two. I don't believe linoleum is flexible or very common tho it's coming back.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  9. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    I used glue.

10. room onthebroom

room onthebroom Free Ranging

May 4, 2015
    We used plastic cap roofing nail for ours, then topped the edges with a little caulked wood shoe.
    chicken floor 3.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by