linoleum on coop floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hensandchickscolorado, Jun 4, 2011.

1. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    So I am FINALLY putting a coop together & I have a stack of peel & stick linoleum tiles that I can use for the floor. At the moment, the floor is plywood. I'm thinking this will make it easier to clean.

Is this a good idea, or not?

I am planning on using either pine shavings or sand in the coop.
    Would love any advice. I don't have to use these tiles; I just happen to have them!

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I use the solid sheet of linoleum on the floor. I have heard that the stick kind peel up due to moisture in the coop. Also it is easier to keep the floor clean with the solid one on there. I use shavings over it. I rake them out to clean and brush with a broom. Then I can come back with the virkon s to kill all the viruses etc. that are on it. New shavings and I am ready to go. Hope you enjoy your new coop. Gloria Jean
  3. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    I have lino on the floor (see my page for a view of it before I added the wood shavings). I find it easy to keep clean. Just make sure that it is always covered with sawdust/shavings etc, as it is slippery for the birds to land on.
  4. Tool

Tool Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    The stick tiles will peel up over time, even if its just the corners. If you already have them and looking to save then it is definatly better than just plywood, but i would suggest using additional glue to prolong the life. I just picked up enough glue for my 4x8 floor (and im sure ill have plenty left) from Lowes for about $5. It would not make sense to be trying to save money by using the tiles if you spend too much on glue. Good luck.
  5. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Save yourself the time and headache.....okay my past headache/mistake. DO NOT use the sticky tiles. Use whole sheet of laminate. It wont last 3 months in the squares. I shopped the clearance aisles and got some cheap stuff and layed down with glue onto the wood floor.
  6. ChickyLove

ChickyLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    YAY! I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to use linoleum! Glad to know it can be done!
  7. lhayes1976

lhayes1976 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I bought a 4x6 remnant for my coop for $15 at a local carpet store. Love it.
  8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    The problem with lino, they do wear kitchen and bathroom are less than six years old and it showing its age of wear and tear. And they don't like shovels if you gouge out a sticky poo on it, it would shorten the life of lino. They dont like being wet all the time either, if you got an open screened doorway, that rain can come in and puddle your floor.

I use horse rubber mats, great stuff!
  9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you're going to do something, yeah I'd recommend sheet vinyl/linoleum rather than the stick-on tiles (which tend to quickly become peel-off tiles [​IMG])

However, I gotta say, I have some pens with vinyl flooring, some with painted plywood, and some with bare concrete (all with a good am't of bedding on top, of course) and I realio trulio do not percieve any difference in how easy they are to manage or clean or how the chickens seem to feel about 'em.

And just priming and painting a plywood floor is easier and usually cheaper than any kind of floor covering.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

10. Feeder

Feeder Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Rolling Prairie, IN.
    That is what i did primed and two coates of paint, going with the deep litter method.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by