Linoleum on floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by worms7, Nov 20, 2016.

1. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    I know there are pros & cons of
    using linoleum but how long will it really last on my floor as i like the idea of using lino
    cheers

1 person likes this.
  2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Years unless it gets cut while shoveling the litter out.

1 person likes this.
  3. worms7

May 22, 2015
    england
    Anybody else please
    Cheers Phil

4. Grub Digger

Grub Digger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    Middle TN
    Phil,
    We had some extra linoleum left over, so I put it on the floor of coop 2.0 this spring. The coop is elevated so I take the wheel barrow over to the door and rake the litter and poop right in. Fairly easy to clean, but you have to keep some form of litter on it or the chickens slip when they jump down from the roost or nest boxes.
    It's lasted 8 months here so far, looks like it'll last quite a few more. Coop 3.0 has a painted plywood floor that I also keep littered and I'm not noticing much of a difference in cleaning.

Happy Chickening!

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    "It has been 4 years for me. I have pine shavings on top." My coop is 4x8 after the first year I divided my linoleum in two. I find the 4x4 mats are easier to handle after removing the bulk of the litter every May. I then can pick up the segments (mine is a heavy durable cushion floor) and empty the remaining litter into the compost. Hose it off pop it back in and I am good for another year. Mine cracked last year I fixed the problem with tuck tape (similar to duct tape).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've had the same linoleum in my coops for eight years and it's mostly unmarred. The few dings were from clumsiness while constructing add-ons over the years, but they're hardly significant.

I like it for the certainty of cleaning and knowing it won't promote dry rot. By the way, I have used pine shavings all these years, put recently changed to sand as my bedding. You might consider that. It provides a quick cleanup of overnight poop, while acting as a heat sink to keep the coop a bit warmer in winter.

1 person likes this.
  7. Egg - Static

Egg - Static Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2016
    Mississippi
    I put some down then put construction sand, I clean out my coop with a cat litter box scoop. So far this has been working well for me. I plan to take all sand out twice a year and restart with new sand. Getting back on subject, I have read than chickens can slip on linoleum however, I have no idea if it is true( probably more in a chicks case). The only con with my coop is that if any sand scoots up under the linoleum, It will peel. Hope this helps some.

Egg - Static

8. Daox13

Daox13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    Richmond va
    My Coop
    I am at the point where I have researched this a lot in the last few weeks only because I'm getting ready to build my coop. Many people use Linoleum however I have heard the better and more upgraded version is Vinyl as it is way more durable over longer times. I currently have vinyl plank flooring in my house and have had for the past four years. I have three dogs and three cats and they destroy everything... except the vinyl flooring as it still looks brand new and cleaning it amazingly easy. You can also get the type that have ridges to prevent slipping if that concerns you and you can get padding to go under it for protection of chicken legs jumping from the roost and to prevent frostbite in the winter for elevated coops.

My plan is to get a sheet of vinyl flooring and to put it down as one sheet as its super cheap that way and easy to size, this way I can just take my one sheet out twice a year and spray it down and deep clean it, but all other times through out the year I just sweep it off, wipe it with a wet towel and replace shavings.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. worms7

May 22, 2015
    england
    is viynl thicker than linoleum Cheers Phil

10. Daox13

Daox13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    Richmond va
    My Coop
    I think that all depends on the type of vinyl. I know the vinyl plank floor is pretty thick stuff but I think you can get thinner vinyl for other applications. But in all reality I would imagine that the sheets of it like what I'm looking to get will be along the same thickness as linoleum, but I believe the material is just stronger in general. you can easily rip linoleum but vinyl is much much harder to rip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by