Linoleum peeling off poop board

Qi Chicken

Songster
10 Years
Jul 3, 2009
I just HAD to have a checkerboard pattern on my poop boards. They were osb primed with 2 coats of kilz and then I stuck on squares of the stick on linoleum alternating white and black. It was so cute.............Until all the linoleum peeled off and the shavings stuck to it and it was a disgusting mess. So....We need new ones.

For those just putting them in, a word to the wise. Don't mount them just below the roost bars. The chickens will sleep on them and get shat on by the ones sleeping on the roosts. Also make them much wider than you think. They sit facing forward and backwards on the roosts and they must projectile poop off those things.

So what material did you use for your poop board and how did you attach the linoleum?

Thanks.

35943_215.jpg

BTW, it looks nothing like this now. Not in a good way.

I was a cabinet maker for over 20 years. The way to make them stick is with formica glue. you can get it at any hardware store. Dap & Liquid Nail are the best brands. Brush the surface to be covered & the tile with glue. Let it dry until you can touch it & not get wet glue on your fingers. Set your tile, keeping in mind, you have 1 chance to set it right. Press it down hard. It will never come off now.

I used a piece of OSB and covered it with sheet linoleum secured by short roofing nails on the bottom.

Those peel n stick squares just do not normally last long in a coop, *anywhere*. Roll vinyl/linoleum is much better.

I use that cheap shelving material they sell at Home Depot etc, it is like mdf-type stuff covered in a plastic-y coating. Needs a bit of extra support from underneath because it is not the most structural thing in the world especially as the years pass, but that's easy to do.

The widest widths available (like, 16-18") catch about 90% of the poo from my good-sized Sussexes, and I believe my oldest one is 2.5 yrs old and I am still 100% happy with it. I clean it every morning and it is a great improvement to air quality and bedding life.

I have never had a chicken try to roost on the edge of it and get pooed on... perhaps there are other factors at work like insufficient roost space to allow for the social dynamics in your flock?

JME, good luck, have fun,

Pat

I didn't even bother with linoleum on my poop board. I used OSB that was painted w/2 coats of gloss paint. No, it won't last forever. I should have used plywood instead of OSB...but it does collect the majority of the poop. And 80-90% collection is better than none! I have a small section of the coop divided off w/the addition of our now 8+week old birds. They do not have a droppings board...yuck!
sickbyc.gif
What a mess their area is! On there is only three there, compared to the 13 other girls using the roosts and board. Give me a droppings board any day - no matter what it's made of!

Love my droppings board. It's leftover osb from the siding and coated with a FEW layers of paint. Birds poop all night, it dries nicely and scrapes off easily into a bucket. I use a giant scraper - like a drywaller used for his mud - it's about 10" across 4" deep. Awesome poop-scraping machine! I read that all peel and stick tiles will eventually peel and not stick. Most have a temperature rating that is not conducive to being in an outdoor coop. With learning that, my coop is lined in sheet vinyl flooring, and it was stapled and glued down before the walls went up so it will not come up.
wink.png

I wonder if you put the droppings board lower, much lower than the roost, whether you would have trouble with chickens roosting on the board. In the picture, the droppings board is almost at the same level as the roost.

Hi, yes Elmo. That was exactly the problem. The board was probably only 4 inches below the level of the roost. They didn't sleep on the edge of it they would all crowd together behind the roost (closer to the wall) in a big pile. They were much younger then so maybe they would have a better idea now.

I knew at the time that the stick ons probably wouldn't stick but I was hoping against hope because I couldn't find the black and white in the sheet style. We are going to move them down so they are lower and make them slightly wider. They are ok closer to the wall but don't stick out far enough in front.

WCasey911---------When you say secured with nails on the bottom? What do you mean by that?? Do you mean you only nailed it along the bottom edge of the top of the board or did you somehow nail the whole thing from below? I've never used roofing nails.

Thanks for the input, I want to get this squared away by fall.

Back
Top Bottom