linoleum vs pressure treated ply for poop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by floridagramps1, Dec 28, 2011.

1. floridagramps1

floridagramps1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2011
    I am planning on (3) poop trays made from PT ply each 32x48 with a 2x3 frame and then covered w 2 or 3 inches of sand. Expectation rake daily and replenish sand annually.

Dau now asks..........shouldn't we install linoleum on floor and halfway up the wall first. Does linoleum come in paste on squares.??????

Good questions............what do those who have been there think

2. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Quote:Floor tile is 12" x 12" squares (paste on squares).

Linoleum comes in rolls about 12' wide.

I'm going with fiberglass .

Terminology also depends what part of the country you're from. Sofa, couch or davenport?

3. shelleen

shelleen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    I can't speak to long-term merits of either...but my husband installed linoleum over PT ply in our coop this summer. So far, I am happy with it. We had some ducks that would make a mess with waters & it made it easier to clean. I would think poop trays & sand would make it even EASIER. Good luck...

4. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    I wouldn't advise the squares! I put it in my coop and can't wait to tear the rest of it up! The constant use, constant cleaning, weather changes and the fact that it doesn't stick to ply wood all that great over a little time makes it a no go in my book! However, my parents put the big sheets in their coop, and it has worked great! Will certainly be going that route when DH and I do our upcoming "upgrade"! [​IMG]

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    You mean vinyl, right? Linoleum is natural product that is generally more expensive and harder to maintain than vinyl:

http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/linoleum.html

Personally, I would just put a coat of high gloss paint over a wood floor and call it done. I certainly wouldn't use those stick on vinyl tiles. I would be concerned that gunk would build up in the seams between the tiles, and that the edges of the tiles would come unstuck over time.

6. littleflocker

littleflocker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Island County WA
    Paint would work well and be easy. I used a vinyl over plywood and it worked well. I even used the composite 1\\4 round trim for the edges. Check your local flooring warehouse for a leftover chunk and make a cash offer you should be able to get a good deal there. Also if you need trim check the home depot leftover bin. Good luck!

7. swamy

swamy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    Another good one is plexi-glass loose-layed over the plywood. We have two 4' long pieces and keep a drywall knife on hand to scrape daily. Plexi comes out once a week or as needed to wash off.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I would go with treated plywood. I dislike the idea of something slick like Linoleum, Vinyl, Laminate or Fiberglass being used as a floor for poultry.
    When you use a flooring material that is has a slick surface you have to bed deep to keep bird from getting sprayed legs or other leg problems. If you cant go with a natural dirt floor then go with a wood floor with a good coat of Acrylic Primer (I have used Benjamin Moore Fresh Start All-Purpose Acrylic Primer ) and 1 or 2 coats of a Epoxy Reinforced Latex Enamel paint (I used Benjamin Moore Flooring Solutions)

This may not be the cheapest way but I found that it works a lot than the other flooring materials.

Chris

9. I put the truck bed liner stuff ("rhino liner") on the floor of my coopwhen I built it. works AWESOME!!!!!! no moisture, no leakage, no molding easy to clean, hoses down if needed. It was very easy to do as well. Just used a roller and paint brush to cover the floor and up the walls by 12 inches. I have used linoleum in the past and i really think this worked better. only downside? cost me about $160.00 for a 10 X 12 coop.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  10. rick33713

rick33713 New Egg

Dec 8, 2011
    I live in Florida where temperature is not a problem and am planning to get four backyard hens.

Is a 8' X 8" enclosure on grass with a 4 foot high fence sufficient? I would also provide a semi-enclosed roofed area at one end of the pen. Do chickens prefer perches or is a shelf with straw better?

I've bred parrots for many years but have no experience with fowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by