1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lipstick's Kidding Post -- **UPDATE WE'RE IN LABOR PEOPLE!!**

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NewChickenMom, Dec 14, 2008.

1. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    well, i stirred everyone up in chat last night and figured i better start a thread to update everyone on Lipstick, my new pygmy cross doe that is in the process of kidding.

here's Lipstick on right:
    [​IMG]

Well, i was up most of the night watching her on my video baby monitor. she is VERY uncomfortable, constantly getting up, pawing, laying back down. she still has amber colored goo hanging from her vulva. her vulva is HUGE and slightly open. she's not interested in eating and really prefers to lay down in the hay i put down for her. her breathing is heavy. all in all, vastly different behavior than Spice, the other doe who is due in March.

I'll keep everyone updated!!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Yup, sounds like the stress of moving has put her into labor. Good luck. I don't leave a doe's side when they have amber goo...not for anything. Hope she does alright! Keep us posted.

3. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I jumped on the computer right away this morning to check on this, I hope everything is going well!

4. NewChickenMom

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    well, no kids. [​IMG] i think she likes making me crazy!

she has more goo hanging from her vulva and i could be just imagining things, but she seems to be having contractions. she arches her back and stops chewing her cud for a few seconds. she seems to eat half-heartedly.

what do you guys think? maybe tonight? give me the [​IMG] and the [​IMG] , its going to be another long night

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My nannies used to drip yucky stuff for about 12 - 18 hours then just suddenly either heave and drop one, or lay down and go for it. Depend on how many times they've delivered too, old hand are quicker than new mommies who have no idea what is about to happen to them! Good luck, I'll be watching!

6. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    what is under the goat on the left looks like a fire or some thing?

7. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:looks like a leaf stuck to her chest.

8. Possumpoint

Possumpoint Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Is this her first time? The first birth usually takes a little longer, or did for my nannies. My Annie alway's waited until night to have hers, and she alway's wanted to have them in a certain spot out in the corner of the goat enclosure.

Good luck and Congrats to you and Lipstick! Can't wait to see the baby pics.

9. NewChickenMom

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    [​IMG]

i got nothin.

she seems to be normal now. she's eating more, interacting with me more and just seems to be happy being pregnant.

she still has goo, vulva is still gigantic and the kids are kicking like crazy. is there any reason to be concerned? or will she just kid when she's ready?

ETA: she has hay stuck to her chest and there are some feathers in the bedding under her. also, the people we got the goats from said both of the girls had twins last year

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

My 'guess' (and it's been years since I had goats) is, she was upset from the move and is now settling down... but still going to kid soon. If the kids are kickin' and she's eating, drinking and pooping, my guess is she's just biding her time now.

Calling the vet wouldn't be out of the question, if you're worried enough, do it! Vet will come out, look her over, listen to the heartbeats, belly rumbles, check her udder, and say, "Yep, pretty soon!" and she'd make sure you had her emergency numbers just in case. If it was me, I just might do it, but that's just me.

We're all just 'computer chair' midwives here, anxious to hear news, and happy for you and your girls. It sounds like you're doing things right though!

[edit] You know you need to update your list of critters on your signature right? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by